PROLOGUE.

This is BOOK TWO of the FRAGILE HEARTS series of short series that I'm writing which means HER. is BOOK ONE. You don't have to read HER. in order to read this one. 

Thank you for all your support and I hope you enjoy this story just like you enjoy my other books. 

- Keep being you and don't ever change yourself for anyone. <3

_______________________________

April 6, 2013

The sound of rain pelting the roof of the car was shared between us. You were humming underneath your breath along the tune of the soft music.

You looked beautiful even with your hair soaked. Your perfectly curled hair was ruined yet you shrugged it off and simply braided it. It was simple but simplicity always looked good on you. Your chocolate brown eyes twinkled with joy and underlining that joy was the love you had for me. A love so strong, I never once doubted it. I tapped my fingers onto the steering wheel, staring at the red light. The windshield wipers occasionally breaking my contact with it. Today was your last day here in the city before you left back to your home in the Valley. Six hours separating us. Six long, agonizing hours.

But you didn't let that affect you.

You continued to embrace the moments we had with each other. Every smile, every kiss...every touch. It was a week spent with one another. A few days we shared it with other friends at small kickbacks where you saw the old gang and rejoiced in old memories. Each day, your smile never faltered. Your lips never quivered. The same lips that whispered your love for me. The same lips that released those beautiful moans as I cherished your body. I don't think I'll ever get tired of them. I'll never get tired of you especially.

But thinking about you and loving you wouldn't be enough to shake the feeling that this may be our last day. Our last day where we would share words with one another. Our last day where we could express our love and forget about the future. The hollow future where I won't wake up beside you. The same future that would repeat itself every damn time. I hated how this always plays out yet I secretly liked it. Because I knew you would be back in my arms even if it took two or three years. You would always come back to me.

My hands gripped the steering wheel tightly and I stepped on the gas as soon as the light turned green. We were getting closer to your grandmother's house. We were getting closer to the end...

"I had fun," you whispered softly, placing your hand on my thigh and squeezed it gently.

I threw a quick smile at you which you frowned on. I remembered the way your eyebrows furrowed in confusion and that smile you held for so long finally broke.

"Ani?" I could hear the crack in your voice already.

Your heart knew what was going to happen just like mine did. I was beginning to feel a void in my chest as I turned on your street, slowing down until I parked right next to the light blue house littered with flower pots on the porch steps. I saw a few lights on inside the house but you weren't concerned about that right now. Once I turned off my car, you moved your body to fully face me. Your chocolate brown eyes searched mine and I hoped dearly that you wouldn't see the brokenness that took vacancy inside me. The sadness that was beginning to encase my body as the numbness seeped through me. It wasn't like how it was before. On your last days, I still felt happy even when you were away because I knew we would meet again. But today felt different. Perhaps because it was raining and the weather fooled my emotions, who knows. But what I do know is that the rain was a sign of a deep sorrow. For who? Maybe for me...or for you.

I should've told you the last time we spent our days together. I should've let my friends' advice to lead me to a brighter path. But I was in love with you – still am.

"Baby, what's wrong?"

The last thing I wanted was to make you cry. It would literally destroy me but it was time to say goodbye and protect our hearts from the future pain.

I hope you could forgive me. Oh, God, I truly hope so.

"I..." I cleared my throat, tearing my eyes away from yours. Instead I looked at your pink coated lips. "I think it's best that we don't see or talk to each other anymore."

Thunder roared in the dark sky above us, silencing the sharp gasp that left your lips but I still heard it. I heard the pain, the beginnings of a heartache.

"W-what?" You choked out, your slender hands flying to your mouth as you tried to contain the sob.

I sighed heavily, bringing my eyes to yours and I winced as I saw the tears I wished to never see begin to fall. "It's not fair for the both of us to put our hearts on the line for a short amount time before we say goodbye again. We live in different places with different people coming to our lives – "

"I-I'm not going to date anyone else when I'm back at Fresno!" You cried out, hastily grabbing my hand tightly in yours. "You know that! I've never dated anyone besides you! I love you!"

Slowly, I withdrew my hand watching you stare at your empty hand. "I love you too...but I don't think I can bear another two years without talking to each other and suddenly you appearing again. I know it hurts you not being able to be here with me and the same goes for me so, that's why I'm doing this so we can move on. As much as I hate this, we have to do this – for the sake of our own hearts."

"I love you..." You whispered, brokenly, the same way my heart was breaking along with your words.

"I love you too, Lola," I reached out to cup your cheek but withheld. It was best if I didn't touch you. "But it's for the best."

You nodded, brushing away your tears.

You were trying to be strong in front of me, I know. Once you're in a closed off room, you're going to break down and that's what is going to pain me. I shouldn't be causing you this much pain but it's the right thing. You deserve better...and frankly, I wasn't it.

"I'm never going to forget you," was the last thing you said before you left the car, quickly getting into your house. You didn't cover yourself from the rain as you got soaked. You let the raindrops mixed with your tears.

That night, I finally understood what it's like to have a broken heart.

I understood how it felt and I knew you felt it too.

"It's for the best," I whispered to myself as I drove off, away from your house...away from you.

Oh, how I hated those words.