Chapter One: A Bad Thief Always Gets Caught

Start from the beginning

It was another paper, this one with the words PROPERTY DEED in all capital letters on the top. An address was printed on one of the lines, our address for the house on Sunnyvale Court. My name was on the holder's line, Dad's on the sellers.

My eyes blurred with tears, the sob that had been stuck in my throat released the flood gates again and I sat on the street crying my heart out. He was really leaving me. He was taking Marie, but was leaving me with only a house and a limited amount of money that I had no idea how to budget. I didn't even know how much I had to my name, but it couldn't have been much.

I took in a deep breath, pushing back the hair that had fallen from my clip from my face, as I stood straight. I could do this. I wouldn't let them dictate my life anymore. Whatever Dad wanted me to do, I wouldn't do. I wouldn't stay in the house, I wouldn't deal with the stranger I had believed to be my mother again. Marie could go with Dad and I would never have to see any of them ever again.

I found the nearest bus and paid for ride to the nearest stop to Sunnyvale with the cash. On the ride, I counted two hundred dollars in my pocket and a notation on another sticky note in the envelope of the money on the debit card. It wasn't much, but it would have been enough to send me to collage or buy three or so cars, but not enough to keep me afloat much longer then a year.

When I got to the house, I took one of Marie's school bags- the one in best condition- and started packing everything I would need. Clothes, some instant food, two books from my book shelf, and my bathroom supplies. I even tore apart Marie's room for the money she stole from my step-mothers purse, and scavenged the downstairs bedroom for money but found almost nothing.

When I was done, I took a bus back into downtown Charleston and found the cheapest motel that wouldn't ask too many questions and checked into a gross single room with little more then a bed and a toilet.

Even though it was still bright out, a laid down on the too-starched bed and fell into a restless sleep filled with the truths and monsters hunting me in the dark.

A week later, and still looking for a job that would keep me in the run down motel and food in front of me, I wisped down to the lobby of said run down motel to find something in the vending machine for dinner. A large man sat at the desk, and another boy- he couldn't have been much older than myself- sat at one of the three old computers that sat just out of the way.

I bent down to pull out the granola bar, sighing to myself as I bit into the tasteless bar of grains.

"Sang?"

I jumped, spinning to face the small mousy boy that had called my name. Looking at the bent glassed perched on his nose and the green eyes hidden behind them, I recognized him as the boy that I had sat by in the court yard of Ashly Waters for three years. My mouth opened a little. "Hi," I greeted him.

A small tilt to his lips gave my heart a start. His cheeks went red, causing the same reaction in my own. "You don't remember me, do you?"

I shook my head, stepping forward to take the desk chair beside him. "I remember you," I told him truthfully, glancing down at the granola bar I still held. "I... just don't know your name,"

"Oh," He murmured. His hand jerked out towards me and I flinched upright to look at his face. His eyes were diverted to the screen he had been using before, so he didn't see my reaction, and I took his hand hesitantly. "I'm Wil Winchester. I should have introduced myself before we graduated, huh?"

I couldn't help the amused breath I puffed out through my mouth. "It's nice to meet you, Wil. I'm Sang Sore-" I broke off, finding my eyes stuck on his hand. Was it right to call myself a Sorenson now that I knew I wasn't wanted by any of them?