Chapter Seventy-Four - Try outs

Start from the beginning

The fifth one was good at dodging a Bludger but not so good at saving the Quaffle. The sixth one was called Geoffrey Hooper and was very good but Eliza didn't like him, he got on her nerves too much. The seventh wasn't good but he wasn't bad. 

When the last had been, Eliza realised how late it was getting, "Alright, try-outs are over." She looked over at the group, "I'll tell you who the new Keeper is later on."

The twins walked over to her, "Shall we go to the common room?"

Shaking her head, she replied, "No, I have a few things to sort through. I shall see you in a bit." Looking over she saw that everyone was making their way back up to the castle so she went alone into the Gryffindor Captain's office. 

Letting out a sigh, she ran a hand through her head, it was a lot more stressful than she had previously thought. Now, she could understand why Oliver was always so forceful when it came to training. Oliver. Oh, how she wanted nothing more than for him to be with her again, for him to be the Captain again. She missed him, especially now, he was the best Captain they had ever had. 

Getting up slowly, she went into the supply cupboard and got the Keeper's uniform out, sadness filled her up as she stared at it. It was Oliver's, the shoulders were wide so they could fit his muscular build - none of the new people would be able to fit into properly. They weren't like him. She wondered if any of them would have the ability to attract Bludgers just like Oliver had. 

Eliza shook her head, she didn't want to think about back then, it was in the past, not the present. Closing the changing room up, she made her way back up to the castle. She went into the Common Room and was met with the team waiting patiently to find out who their new Keeper was - well if shouting and squabbling loudly counted as being patient. Alicia grinned at her, "What do you have there?" She wiggled her eyebrows, "Is that a Keeper's uniform?"

Nodding her head, she passed it over to her, "Yeah, let's hope they'll fit. I doubt it though."

"You alright?" Alicia asked her concernedly.

"Me? Yeah, I'm good." Eliza said to her before shouting, "I've decided who the next Keeper shall be." The team and people who had tried out turned quiet and stared at her, "Congratulations to Mr Ronald Weasley, good luck with being our newest addition to the team. Commiserations to everyone else who tried out, it was very close."

The twins stared at her flabbergasted before bursting into cheering as they picked their brother up, "Another Weasley! Maybe you're not totally like Percy after all."

Ron was the image of happiness as he drank his butterbeer with his elder brother. Hermione walked over to Eliza, "I know he wasn't the best, so why did you pick him?"

"He has potential." Eliza replied, "I know he'll be something good in the long term."

"How far is the long term?" Hermione asked her with a raised eyebrow.

Eliza smiled softly, "He'll get there."

She looked over and saw that Harry had got back, "Have a butterbeer." Ron held a bottle over to him, "I can't believe it -"

Harry cut him off, "Where's Hermione gone?"

"She's there." Fred said as he pointed to where Hermione was fast asleep in the armchair by the fire.

"Well, she said she was pleased when I told her." Ron said as he stared at the girl.

"Let her sleep," George said quickly and Eliza caught sight of Harry staring at a couple of first years who had previously had nosebleeds.

"Come here, Ron, and see if Oliver's old robes fit you," Alicia called to Ron, "We can take off his name and put yours on instead."

Eliza then took this as her chance to talk to Harry, "I just want to apologise for how I was earlier on," She told him honestly, "It's stressful this managing lark, you know, I'm starting to think I was hard on Oliver sometimes." Hearing loud laughter she turned and saw Ron, "Look, I know he's your best friend, hey he's like a little brother to me, but he's not fabulous." Eliza sighed, "I think with a bit of training he'll be all right, though. He comes from a family of good Quidditch players. I'm banking on him turning out to have a bit more talent than he showed today, to be honest. Vicky Frobisher and Geoffrey Hooper both flew better this evening, but Hooper's a real whiner, he's always moaning about something or other, and Vicky's involved in all sorts of societies. She admitted herself that if training clashed with her Charms Club she'd put Charms first. Anyway, we're having a practice session at two o'clock tomorrow, so just make sure you're there this time. And do me a favour and help Ron as much as you can, okay?"

Harry nodded at her, "Yeah, sure."

"Cheers." And with that she left and sat down beside Angelina.