I took in their expensive, boring crisp suits and no-nonsense-air with a raised brow, registering the unmistakable ‘talent scout’ look in their eyes.

Prestigious C.D. (ignoring the slightly ridiculous name) was the top talent agency in the world. They were as hard to get into as a Barbie dolls leather trousers, but if you were an interest of theirs you were only a step away from being at the deeply coveted top step in your chosen profession.

I was suddenly glad that I had taken my mother’s words to heart when she said a dancer danced even whilst doing the most mundane things, aware that, from the way they were looking at me, my way of moving had not gone unnoticed by them.

“Please call me Thomas,” Mr Bentley said, reaching forward with his hand slightly in the air and I took it automatically, noticing as he shook vigorously that Ms Smith wasn’t as polite and chose to just stare at me.

“Hi,” I said quietly before I turned to look at my mother figure/instructor with utter confusion.

“Oh I’m sorry, you’re probably wondering what on earth is going on,” Thomas chuckled, and I glanced at him a little shocked, wondering why I hadn’t noticed the numerous laugh lines that was etched onto his face.

No nonsense indeed.

“We’re here because Linda here is one of the best instructors who have ever pinpointed us to raw talent. And because of that we instantly went to her for her opinion on the best representatives for England.”

Nowhere on his expression looked like he was a man who enjoyed making cryptic comments, but that was exactly what he had done.

“Representative?” I aimed at Linda, hoping that she would be the one to shed the light this time.

Ms Smith wasn’t having that apparently.

“For the dance competition we are holding?” She said almost sardonically, her high-pitched, venom filled voice beginning to prod at my bubble. “Surely you have heard of it Ms Hudson?”

“Lucia tends to have her head in the clouds,” Linda said with a slightly amused tone, but from the way she suddenly stepped beside me and put her arm around my shoulder, I knew she didn’t like the woman either. “That’s what makes her such a great dancer. Why don’t you leave the details with me and I’ll contact you with her answer.”

The two officials looked at each other, both with some sort of resentment etched onto their faces. But they both nodded in agreement after a minute and Mr Bentley handed me a card.

A shock of recognition went through me once I took a glance at it. “I already have this card.”

I looked up just as I felt their eyes dig holes into my bubble and I stepped a little closer to Linda.

“How could you have possibly had this number before?” Ms Smith said in an almost vindictive tone. “I’ve never heard of your name being in the recruiting pile.”

I shrugged. “It was more for the mobile number written on the back. I don’t know whether or not you’ve heard of a Christian Delmont?”

Both of them stiffened as instant shock paled their complexions. Even Linda stiffened slightly, before something flashed behind her eyes and she suddenly smirked at the two demeaning people in front of us.

“She…she…” Smith stammered as her colleague smiled even more brightly at me.

Ah, I see. Good cop, bad cop.

Though why they would need to use that method to find talent for a competition I am not at all sure.

“Well it seems you definitely are something if Mr Delmont is interested in you,” Thomas said, and I saw for the first time genuine sincerity when he said that.