Chapter Seventeen: Grief and Sorrow

Start from the beginning

An invisible force was torturing him as that night, he discovered that his hands were beginning to feel stiff and he can't move them the way he wanted already. Writing had began to be a huge chore on him and he also couldn't hold his chopsticks to eat his food which depressed him so much. He couldn't help but whimper and cry on his bed whenever he was left alone in his small room that had began suffocating his energy.

"Will I always be like this now, doctor?" Kousei cried out.

...

That same night, Seto Hiroko came to help him eat. He ate some rice and fish willingly but she could definitely see that Kousei's in a very miserable state. His eyes were filled with sorrow and he had lost a lot of weight.

Even he doesn't like it, he needed to be dependent on her or he wouldn't be able to eat.

Seto Hiroko tried to calm him when she became aware that he's depressed. She tried telling him that he had to keep on taking his pills willingly so he could feel better but she wasn't able to calm him when he began shouting at her. "Why... I'm not even recovering! I'm getting worse! I want to get out of hospital! They can't do anything but give me pills and inject me with needles on my skin to give me medicines. It just makes me sleep too much everyday! I want to die! Is my suffering not enough? I hate what I have become! I want to turn back my time. Why am I like this? I want to go home."

"Kousei...," she sighed.

"Seto-san, what is happening with me?" cried Kousei.

"You know that Kaori will be hurt if she heard you talk like that," Watari Ryota reminded him.

He felt guilty that he said those words after hearing him. He could definitely see that he's acting like his mother before she passed away. "I'm sorry, Watari. I'm sorry, Seto Hiroko-san."

They hugged him after that and so, Hiroko assured him, "You'll get through this, Kousei. I'm sure of it."

...

Watari and Tsubaki rushed beside Miyazono Kaori when they saw her lose the sensation on her legs. Like Kousei, she was forced to use a wheelchair when she returned to Totsuhara Hospital. She discovered that writing was getting harder to do, too. Even so, she's still much better than Kousei but she needed to be back in the hospital to allow her doctors to monitor her condition.

The next day, Watari Ryota visited her. He was just finished visiting Kousei and he came in his room twice at a very wrong time in Tokyo Hospital where he was confined. It hurt him a lot to see him in a very bad condition.

"What's wrong, Watari?" asked Kaori while she's eating caneles.

"I don't know if I should tell you what I witnessed days ago. I know you asked me to keep visiting Kousei so I can be your eye on him but----" He stopped talking. Tears rolled down his eyes bitterly.

His tears shook her up while she was seated on her wheelchair inside her room. "What's wrong with him? Tell me!" she begged.

"He almost died! My best friend almost died after he arrived in Tokyo Heart and Neurological Center!" he replied back with tears streaming down on his cheeks painfully. "He had an arrest. Luckily, he was saved by his doctors. A conference today will be held. They will be having a meeting how they could make sure Kousei would live longer. I don't know what the results will be."

What he said hurt Kaori a lot. She's speechless. Her tears cascaded down her own eyes and hoped that Kousei will survive. She couldn't believe that Kousei's worsening too fast.

...

A lot of doctors from all over Japan gathered in a conference hall inside Tokyo Heart and Neurological Center. There were also invited experts of Friedreich's Ataxia who were connected via video call. They all shared the same files, reports, MRI and CT Scan about the condition of Arima Kousei who seemed to be in agony already. Within two hours, everyone arrived at an alarming conclusion that made them all sorrowful. All of them pitied the young musician that had a lot of potential in the music world.