Saying Goodbye

The car was loaded, packed down with all my years of existence. Clothes, shoes, memories all shoved into one small, four door that nearly wiped out all my savings when I had bought it. I looked around the house, just once more, not because I thought I had forgotten anything, but more so because I had caught myself getting attached when I said I never would. I realized, while walking the halls one last time, that I would in fact miss this home. It's old Victorian staircase, and the all knowing walls that had seen all, every floorboard I knew would creak at three AM coming home late and trying not to be loud, closing the door a way so it wouldn't slam or squeak, the doorknob to my room I had worn down from grabbing harshly, it was all familiar and though I had waited for my chance for ages to finally escape, the time had come and the feeling of sadness had taken over. Every scratch on the wooden floors had a story, every mark on my walls, every chewed corner from some innocent eyed puppy, it was all what I had grown to love and now would miss. My heart ached as I stepped through each room one last time, my room once filled with life and color and pictures hung on the walls, the sweet scent of vanilla from a candle lit, the distant talking from a tv turned on low in the background, was now gone. It was bare and unknown to me now, leaving behind traces, small fragments of what was my life, a small makeup stain on the floor, or handprint smudge on the wall from a clumsy, drunk night. It now was just a room, I looked out to the woods I had grown familiar with over time, and said a silent farewell to the swaying giants, as they too will soon be a distant memory.
   I turned and made my way back outside, and there she sat, her faced screwed with what I could only see as sorrow. I mentally prepared myself and steadied my voice before I spoke to be sure it didn't waver.
  'Think I got everything!'
She looked up at me, her eyes rimmed with redness. Her hair hung limply past her shoulders, usually brimming with life, and sparkle and spunk. She wiped her nose on the back of her hand, and stood to her feet, her face shadowed in sadness. I could feel the tears filling my eyes, daring to spill down my cheeks, I quickly blinked them away and held out my arms. She choked out a sob and embraced me in a airtight hug, crying silently into my neck. Now, rather then later did I realize how utterly heartbreaking saying goodbye was.
I pulled away and felt my heart shatter into pieces and float away, tears streamed down my face onto my neck. I turned abruptly on my feet and got into my car. I glanced hesitantly in my rearview mirror as I pulled away, and there she stood, sobbing into her hands. I pulled down and out of the driveway, I had come hundreds of times beforehand, not daring to look back for fear I may turn around. As I made my way to the interstate, leaving behind a family and town that had failed me for years. I knew I'd never come back.
               'Goodbye Mom'
I whispered to myself, but it was lost in the wind from the open windows.