Chapter Three : More than a test.

Start from the beginning

"Chalo,it's time baby. We have to get Asif home." I said walking towards the car.

"Don't baby me Jaan. I am a big girl. Soon I will be having a brother or a sister." She said smiling. She never liked calling my full name-Jannat but rather she shortened it to Jaan since my entire family would call me by that name.

***

"Welcome home Assu." I said hugging my brother.  He looked tired,weary but still his eyes shone with excitement. I knew the feeling was magical since coming back home after all those months was the best feeling in this world.

"Thanks aapi. I missed you terribly." He replied lifting Samya.

All of a sudden I received a call from Zara,"They are here. Where are you? Mom looks tensed. Make sure you reach home quickly."

"Thanks for the info. Just make sure the back door is opened. I will be there soon." I assured her.

I drove the car in a super sonic speed,my mind picturing my mother who'd panic in such a state. It was a seven minute drive. I reached home breathing heavily. Zara helped me dress up and she accompanied me to the so called guests. 

I tried to behave like a typical daughter in law material thanks to my bhabs' last night training. I mumbled salaam as I sat on the sofa. My eyes wanted to explore the entire room but I stopped myself there and then.

"How are you beta?" A thin beautiful woman asked. I guess she was his mother.

"Alhamdulillah am fine aunty." I said trying to sound shy. Being shy and uncomfortable wasn't my cup of tea as I wasn't this way. I talked to anybody anywhere but such sensitive matters demanded a new avatar.

I smiled shyly and and played with my fingers. This moment was just too much to bear. I could feel her eyes on my face and believe you me,I could just start laughing like a mad person in this panic mode.

"Do you intend to work after marriage?" She asked locking her eyes with mine.

"As long as my future husband is okay with it,I will work but if he's not happy I would rather be at home than tolerate his anger moreover,a woman should always obey her husband in all right decisions." I replied assertively.

"Mashallah. I see you are a very wise girl.  Yahya would have come earlier but his work wouldn't let him. I am sure you must have questions to ask him. He is on his way here. I just messaged him the address." She announced looking at her expensive phone.

"Sure."I said looking at my mother who was now relieved. I must admit,beneath this exterior crazy side of me lied a very sensible girl.

I waited for around ten minutes as the woman got indulged with the political talks with my mother. I excused myself and sat in the balcony with my sisters.

"I never knew that you are that witty. Seems like the woman has liked you." Tamanna hinted.

"Hello,a pearl like me can't lose her shine just that way." I bragged  smirking.

"Don't chicken out when Yahya comes. Well that will show if you truly got your guts." Zara said laughing.

"Yeah yeah. You guys are making me nervous.  I have dealt with things worse than this." I replied rolling my eyes.

My sis in law announced that Yahya had arrived and I walked gracefully to the lounge sitting like the way I was before.

"Assalaam aleikum. I am sorry am late. I hope I didn't make you wait." I heard his deep voice greet. I lowered my gaze and my fingers started playing with themselves as my hands began to sweat.

The other women greeted him as my voice chickened out betraying me the last minute.
He looked at me and I stole a glance to see him. His raised his eyebrows in disbelief.

He was the same guy who had voiced up the other day and helped us from those cheapskates.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Still I just wanted to assure myself that this wasn't just a dream so I bit my tongue just realising that this was the truth.

"Are you okay if I work?" I started.

"It won't be of any problem provided you'd cover yourself well before going out. Your parents didn't take you to school so that you can just sit in your husband's house like an object." He said.

I couldn't go on with my questions since his character was good from what I saw of him the other day and the way he answered me,I was contented.

"No more questions." I announced with my gaze still on the ground.

After a few minutes they left the house,my heart being restless. I kept my fingers crossed trying to keep a cool image before my family members.

Truly this wasn't less than an exam.

_____________________________________

So here's a new chapter. Get your fingers crossed too :p

Trust me this book is unpredictable unlike Another Chance :)

If you were in Jannat's shoes what would you ask him? ;)

Comment and vote.

Ps. I will be updating more often since I enrolled myself in a competition :$