Artificial - Short story

Finally finished with this.

By the way, try to see how many references you can catch from all the other "nameless character" shorts...

This is my (very lame) attempt at a short story good enough to match that of Roshkat :)

Check her works out...you wont regret it.

This character is based on one from my new Titans series now avaible on Lulu and Amazon...Links on my homepage.

Small rant. Long story.

Artificial

“I can't breathe...” A soft voice filled the loud speakers around me. I smiled, not being able to help myself in this situation.

“You don’t have to...remember?” I replied to the empty room. It had been three hours since she had last spoken. It was then that I got the call. Three hours ago my life changed. I was lying in my apartment, sound asleep, normal sleep for the first time in years. I hadn't slept that well since before I could remember. Normally my dreams tend to get out of hand.

But my peaceful night's rest was rent by the door being smashed inward. The gun under my pillow was no match for the ten men that suddenly filed into my small bedroom, each taking up preassigned positions around it. Through the darkness I could see the emblem and my heart dropped. A hammer, surrounded by a large serpent.

Ragnarok.

“Boy, are you guys lucky I don't sleep in the nude.” I had said. None of them even blinked. I let out a small chuckle before jumping out of bed and splashing water on my face, under the careful supervision of two armed personal.

“You guys here to read me a bedtime story?” I asked, throwing on a clean t-shirt.

“System's gone critical,” The lead gunmen said quickly tossing me a small jacket by the door. “Full system shut down.”

“I told you this was a bad idea. What's she doing?” I asked, slipping the jacket on. I could see the urgency in the man's body language. There was something he wasn't telling me. Something big enough to send ten Ragnarok agents down in the middle of the night for a personal wake up call.

“Nothing,” The man replied. I raised an eyebrow.

“Nothing? She was probably sleeping...Like I just was!” I reminded the group. The lead sighed.

“No, I mean nothing at all. No readings. Not a single movement. We've had to run the entire system by hand.” He replied.

“Like bloody cavemen...” I added, pushing through the group towards the door. “I told you already. I don't want anything to do with this. It's wrong and I want no part of it. I'll send you all the bill for the door...Thanks for dropping by.”

“Sir...she trusted you...now she needs you more than ever...she's dying.” That got my attention really quick. I could hear something in the man's voice, something change. Even he must have seen the inhumanity of the situation.

The next thing I remembered was getting into a small black unmarked car and the lead gunman taking the wheel. I gazed calmly out the window as the Ragnarok agent drove at breakneck speeds through dangerous intersections. I had no idea what fate had for me on the other side of the door when the car stopped, but I tried not to think about it.

I looked up to see our destination coming into view. Ragnarok Tower. Standing tall against an otherwise bland city.

Ragnarok had erected a tower, high above this filthy city. The tower itself stuck out like a tall blade of grass on a lawn of fresh cut grass. Everyone knew their name. And everyone knew the man on the upper floor.