Chapter 1

Can you keep a secret? I hope so. Otherwise, I suggest you stop reading right now. There are all kinds of secrets. Some only I know. Ones I'll share with you. Others that I wish I knew. But if we're going to be friends, you should know that secrets are like wishes and shouldn't be traded, sold, or shared. All I ask is that you promise to keep my secrets. Keep them close like your deepest, most treasured wish on a star.

Okay? Here goes.

Yesterday was my birthday and something weird happened. Not weird like the dogbrella my neighbor has for her Shih Tzu (it attaches to Stella's harness to protect her from the rain). Not weird like the winter-hat-with-eyes filter my bestie Chelsea thinks is hilarious and keeps sending on our streaks. And not weird like how my cousin's mom cuts up his food with scissors instead of a fork and knife.

No, weird like yesterday when I said my birthday wish and blew out the sixteen candles on top of my ice cream cake, I kind of knew that my wish was going to come true. Like knew, knew. Knew it would happen like I know my name is Maija or that the sky is blue—well, deep blue-black since it's dark out right now, but you know what I mean.

I know you're not supposed to tell people these things, but you said you could keep a secret. You promised, right?

Here it is: I wished that I'd fall in love this year. (Cliché? Don't judge, I had to be quick because the ice cream was melting.) Plus, I've never been in love.

I've had a few crushes. For instance, movie stars and Carter Miller forever. Forever being since the four middle schools in my area combined at Hamilton High. If you ask anyone who knows anything about forever, two years is a long time.

My older sister, Lila, who left for college and is best friends with his best friend's girlfriend, informed me he hooked up with Naomi Casseni over the summer. Le sigh.

The wish thing was weird because I felt the trueness of it in my whole body. It smelled like mint, tasted sweet, and made my tummy tumble. (No, I hadn't eaten any of the cake yet.) I felt like love was coming for me. But I also felt something else, like my heart would shatter and that love would come at a great cost. Like I said, weird and a bit dramatic.

I experienced the fullness of it in that moment the same way as right now I hear cars honking, doors slamming, and the rushing waves in the background as everyone gathers for the last beach bonfire of the summer before school starts tomorrow.

I felt it like I can feel the breeze on my skin, the warmth of the fire on my face, and the sand under my feet.

It was as real as the nervous fluttering in my stomach about going back to school.

Speaking of love, Keiko's high laughter harmonizes with Reggie's lower tones—they're high school sweethearts. I hear chatter and hooting and happiness. Also, the vanilla sugar scent of S'mores—I'm working on my second.

As I roast a marshmallow, I gaze into the darkness on the edge of the bonfire, hoping Carter will appear, telling me the girlfriend thing was only a rumor.

Instead, Chelsea trots across the sand and wraps me in a hug. In one breathless flurry she says, "Omigod-sorry-I'm-late-what-did-I-miss?" She spots the marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers, makes grabby hands, and says, "Ooh, gimme."

"I'm the designated S'mores supplier." I think Aaron assigned me this job because last year Reggie ate all the chocolate before anyone else got to it. I pass her a roasting stick.

"A marshmallow magic wand," she says with a flourish and steps closer to the fire, promptly incinerating her marshmallow.

My mouth drops open. "Wait, what did you do to your hair? It's—"