"Because it's better for kids to be given a prize by the Puppet himself rather than a pizza-smelling, cranky employee wearing a greasy polo." he jested, and you spared a good laugh.

"Before everything starts opening up I wanted to ask a personal question...If that's okay."

You stiffened with uneasiness.

"Um...sure." you complied. 

"Feel free to just ignore this but...I've always wanted to know...why DO you hate your face so much? I remember that being the only reason you wear your mask constantly. It can't be comfortable after so many hours."

You knew this question would show up some time or later. 

"You get in a bad accident or something? Serious scars going on under there?" he threw out a guess, mostly as a joke.

"No. Nothing like that. It's...Because . . ." you started, digging for more words.

"Because I have this...condition...where I just hate showing my face to the public." Your original plan was sarcasm.

"Oh, body dysphoria?"

"Huh?"

"That's what they call it; Body dysphoria. Condition where a person obsesses with some flaw on themselves. Usually in the facial area, too." 

               There's actually such a thing??

"Yeah. There we go," you played along.

"I see." he said, letting it all sink in.

"Kinda makes me wonder how you got the job here. How were you even interviewed? What if you had to put on a polo one day instead of your costume?"

"I...really needed the job and found the guts to apply. I'm not gonna..um..lie, but I almost couldn't sit through the whole interview. Peter said they had an opening for a new mascot and that I could try out for it since I would be getting to wear this mask. I started, and did a good job, so he kept me. As long as they need the Puppet I'll have the job." you wove up a decent story.

"And he made you dye your hair and everything for this?" 

"Yep." you responded with technical truth.

"That's incredible...so you're okay with everyone as long as you're 'covered'?"

"Yes. Yes I am. And I guess it's...therapeutic. Helps me face the public and become more comfortable with myself." you dropped a few more convincing details that would've earned anyone's sympathy.

"Well...Cool then! I hope you can overcome that. Doesn't sound fun...I've never seen your face before but I'll just say I'm ninety-nine point nine percent sure there's nothing wrong with it!" he played. 

"Ha, aren't you funny." you returned.

"You think I could ask Peter what you look like since he's seen you before?" he asked, half joking half serious. 

"Just focus on the kids, man." you pushed it away and stepped back. 

"Gotcha. Don't get too lonely up here." He took the hint and left you alone.

               Alone. 

The word echoed continuously and you struggled to come up with enthusiasm so you wouldn't go mad. You distracted yourself when remembering there was a prize guide that needed to be learned before people started showing up.

You scanned the back of the counter and easily found a sheet of laminated paper taped up.

In thick bold letters read: