It shook him to the core when he felt the softness of her palm fade away, forcing him to widely open his tearful eyes – through the blurred vision, he witnessed how her body went limp, withdrawing last breath, and the eyes of the richest ruby went bland.

At that moment, everything changed.

The boy died, and the killer was born.

~

Sebastian was brought back to reality by the faint knock on the door. He opened his eyes and only then he felt a single tear roll down his cheeks. Immediately, his eyebrows knitted together as he caught the drop with the tip of his middle finger. He shook it off as the knock was repeated and went to open the door.

There she stood, timid as ever and not less appealing to the eyes.

"Sebastian," Esmeralda breathed out, looking concerned. "M-May we speak?"

Ever so slightly he lifted a corner of his lips and opened the door wider, leaning himself against the frame, allowing the maiden to come in.

Instantly, Esmeralda felt embarrassed – she's never been inside his room, and frankly, she was afraid that naughty thoughts would come to her head. The last time she had had a view of his room was the one ten years ago, when she saw him here with a woman.

Nevertheless, she came in.

She didn't exactly remember what his room looked like, because she saw it at night and only few pieces of furniture could be discerned in the dim candlelight, but now, she was mesmerized, as if she experienced the wonders of the castle once again.

The walls were of dark color – a mix of dark reddish burgundy and brown, what certainly gave off the regal aura. The bed was absolutely gorgeous – Esmeralda never saw a bed that big, not to mention these rich, deep ruby curtains that hung loosely from the canopy and the four posters. She forced herself to withdraw her gaze from the bed, to not get any ideas and to prevent the blush that threatened to creep up her neck any second.

The floor was of fine dark wood, as well as his desk, which was scattered with some letters, over burned candles and an inkwell.

There were many more wondrous things in his room, but eventually she rested her gaze on the occupant himself.

"Please, take a seat." He motioned his arm towards the chaise-longue as he himself sat in the throne-like regal chair in front of the fireplace, back turned to Esmeralda.

He definitely knew what she aims to discuss.

Esmeralda timidly sat at the edge of the chaise-longue, eyeing the side of Sebastian's immaculate face that she just about seemed to admire, due to his sitting position.

"I-I want to apologize for the trouble I caused today."

Sebastian couldn't believe his ears.

Retaining his placid demeanor he stood up from the chair and started to pace forward, parallel to the chaise-longue that Esmeralda's sitting on, with his back straight and hands clasped behind it.

Esmeralda felt fear sinking to her bones, because she didn't know what to expect from such calm Sebastian.

Was he really indeed calm? Or was he angry? Perhaps, disappointed? Esmeralda could only guess.

He came to a halt right in front of Esmeralda, turning his body to face her. "Why are you so disapproving of yourself?"

Esmeralda felt like her face was hit with a wet rag. She understood the question, but she had absolutely nothing to offer as an answer.

She gaped again and again, trying to come up with something, but her efforts were fruitless.

"Esmeralda, you are truly extraordinary – believe me when I say it. Or does my status bear no weight to my words?"

"N-no! I mean, yes, of course it does! I would never –"

"Then please, realize how important you are."

The atmosphere was so intense and Esmeralda felt like she was going to explode; this tension made her ask the question following:

"But how can I realize my purpose when I don't even know why I'm still here?"

This time, Sebastian had difficulties in finding what to say. He couldn't just tell her why he sought her as a child in the first place.

"Sebastian, you could've given me away to the orphanage. Hell, you were under no obligation to take me in the first place! What am I still doing here?"

Sebastian knew he had to act quickly; she's no idiot, she won't be fooled with anything.

He sat next to her on the chaise-longue, grasping her tiny palms in his gently.

The moment their skin touched, Esmeralda went rigid. The touch was so tender and affectionate, she didn't want to leave his room; ever.

"Is my affection reason not good enough for you to stay?"

She gulped, feeling the intensity of his ruby orbs targeting her brown ones. "I-I –"

"I have plans for you, Esmeralda." Here, Sebastian didn't lie. "I need you."

Is this a dream? If it is, Esmeralda vowed to throw herself off a cliff if she wakes up.

This was it – Esmeralda was going to pour her heart out to Sebastian; she couldn't handle the tension anymore, and she was too affected by his confessions.

But someone else knocked at the door, reminding Esmeralda of reality.

Slowly, Sebastian withdrew his palms and started to approach the door, but before he could do that Esmeralda stood up with a declaration. "I'm not going to disturb you any longer, my King."

She rushed past Sebastian and opened the door herself, revealing Sebastian's personal messenger with a hand lifted in the air, preparing to knock again; it must be something urgent.

With that notion, Esmeralda rushed past the messenger, leaving him with Sebastian.

"What is it, Robert?" Sebastian sighed, a bit disappointed the Esmeralda left.

"It's the Board, my King." Robert declared, giving Sebastian an envelope sealed with blue wax, imprinted with the insignia of a simplest circle.

"Thank you, Robert, I'll see to it."

Sebastian then went to sit by the desk, quickly opening the envelope and proceeding to read the piece of parchment.

"I see, general meeting." He hummed to himself after reading it thoroughly.

General meeting signified the fact that by the time it comes, Sebastian will have had decided the final plans to benefit the realm and present them to other member of the Board. At least that's what they expect.

Little do they know that he plans a revolution, far from the concept of their benefit.