Raining Rings

She sat at the bar, downing shot by shot. Her rings were in her purse.

He sat at a table, stoned and staring at his drink. His rings were in his pocket.

They both downed the rest of their drinks just as there was a commotion coming from the entrance.

Turning to look over his shoulder, the man looked past the fight to the beautiful woman who was watching it as if it was a daily spectacle.

The woman was bored out of her mind, not bothering with the fight. She looked up from the men who were beating each others' faces to a pulp. Their eyes met.

Neither looked away from the other. Finally, the woman arched an eyebrow at the man. He made a face as she turned around and continued drinking.

He got up and bought another drink, bumping into the woman. She glared at him, but he didn't back off. He smiled, apologized.

She toned down her glare. Marginally. She went back to her drink as he looked at her.

She looked at him sharply, asking him if she could help him with so much venom in her voice.

He made a face as she held back a grin. He saw through it though, smiling.

They laughed together as the night went on. They got a Taxi and, as she went out to her house, he slipped a paper in her purse.

She opened the door and stumbled inside, falling into the bed where her fiancé was sleeping. He woke up when he felt her cold skin against his. She leaned over him and gave him a sloppy kiss, later sinking into the bed without a word.

He wonders what happened to them. They were high school sweethearts who got married after graduation.

He loved her, but she didn't love him. Not anymore.

The man got out of the taxi and went straight to his son's room. There wasn't a light on, but he could hear slight noises.

He opened the door slightly and saw him and a girl in bed. They didn't notice him, so he backed out of the room with a silent chuckle.

He was just like his father. Then and now. That thought made the laugh die in his chest.

He went up to the bedroom where his wife was sleeping peacefully. He didn't smile at her sleeping form.

He went down stairs and crashed on the couch.

In the morning, he woke up to a headache and his phone ringing. He pawed at it only to see an unknown number on the screen.

He was about to ignore when he remembered the woman at the bar. He grabbed it up and placed it to his ear just before the voicemail.

He asked her name. She said to call her 'Fate'.

He said his name was Jack. She was smiling on the other end and not because she was looking at how the morning light hit her fiancé's back.

She quickly scribbled a note and left it on her pillow. He could wait. She had more urgent matters to attend to.

They set a time and a place and she spent the next hours getting ready at a friend's house.

When night fell, Jack waited for Faith at their arranged meeting place.

When she appeared at the entrance of the restaurant, his breath as well as any thoughts about his family were blown out of him.

As she looked around for Jack, her phone rung. She looked at the screen, it was her fiancé. She picked up.

He asked her where she was and she went along with their story. She was at the mall with Terry and Beth. The girls had agreed that to help even though they thought it was wrong.