Chapter Nineteen: Importance and Infatuation

Start from the beginning

"Don't be absurd."

"Absurd? How quickly did you decipher that email for her? Was it the full minute or were you really eager to impress?"

"I think it was less than five seconds." We both turned around, seeing Irene. 

"I drove her into your path. I'm sorry. I didn't know." Mycroft said.

"Mr. Holmes, I think we need to talk."

"So do I," Sherlock replied, "There are a number of aspects I' still not quite clear on-"

"Not you, Junior, you're done now." She walked past him to Mycroft. "There's more. Loads more. On this phone I've got secrets and pictures and scandals that could topple your whole world. You have no idea how much havoc I can cause and only one way to stop me. Unless you want to tell your masters that your biggest security leak is your own little brother."

~~~

We sat in a room. Mycroft and Irene sat at a table, negotiating, while Sherlock and I sat away from them.

"You knew." He said. I shook my head.

"Not for very long. I've only just figured it out."

"But you could have told me. You could have stopped this."

"I could have, you're right." I said. "But not only are you a grown man, it's high time you realized that showing off can get people hurt."

"What, like you?" He asked. "You were upset that Irene was flirting with me, so you went off to pout?"

"Yes, like me, and I certainly wasn't pouting about it, but I'm not important. In this situation, or to you, as you've made abundantly clear." I said, finally looking at him. "You were so eager to impress her that you didn't think Sherlock. Don't blame me for the consequences of your ego." 

"We have people who can get into this." Mycroft said.

"I tested that theory for you. I let Sherlock Holmes try it for six months. Sherlock dear, tell him what you found when you x-rayed my camera-phone."

"There are four additional units wired inside the casing. I suspect containing acid or a small amount of explosive, any attempt to open the casing will burn the hard drive." He said, not taking his eyes off of me. I glared at the floor.

"Explosive. It's more me."

"Some data is always recoverable."

"Take that risk."

"You have a passcode to open this. I deeply regret to say we ahve people who can extract it from you."

"I'm sure you do." I spoke up. "But she'll have prepared for that. She has two passcodes, one to open the phone and one to destroy the drive. Even under the influence of interrogation you can't have any idea which one she's given you."

"She's good, isn't she? I should have her on a leash. In fact, I might."

"Shut up." I told her.

'We destroy this the. No one has the information." I sighed, standing up.

"It's not just comprimising pictures, Mycroft. She has information on there that is keeping people alive as well as infromation that can get them killed.

"A list of my requests and some ideas about my proection once they're granted. I'd say it wouldn't blow much of a hole in the wealth of a nation,  but then I'd be lying. I imagine you'd like to sleep on it?"

"Thank you, yes."

"Too bad." I answered for her once again.

"Off you pop and talk to people."