Chapter 3 - Guest

Start from the beginning

Once, earlier in the evening, the wind had rattled a tree branch making Payal immediately jump at the noise. Arnav had rolled his eyes at Payal and Khushi had explained, "It's just the wind."

As the sky outside grew darker, Arnav flexed his fingers. The stage was set for his performance to begin.

It was the usual course of action. He dropped a plate first. The sound of ceramic breaking made both the girls pause their conversation and swivel their heads in the direction of the kitchen.

Payal's relaxed mode was gone in an instant. Khushi, however, sighed, "This has been happening so often, maybe the kitchen shelf is imbalanced. I'll have to check it out next weekend."

So, she did notice, Arnav thought to himself, she just didn't correlate it with a haunting. This was a good start.

Next, he concentrated on the lights. Not just 1 bulb, rather all of them. He focused his energy on the lights and narrowed his eyes. The lights begin to flicker.

The girls looked above, eyes moving from one light source to another as the tube-lights and the bulbs of the kitchen, drawing room and bedroom blinked unsteadily.

Payal jumped to her feet, "What..." her voice was a hoarse whisper, dripping with fear, "what is happening?"

Arnav wanted the same reaction from Khushi. Eagerly he waited for his target to feel what Payal was feeling.

Khushi did look confused. She shrugged her shoulder, "Problem in the wiring, maybe," she reasoned, "It's a bit weird but this house is old." She turned to face Payal, "Would you relax? I'll call the electrician. Next weekend."

That was it for Arnav. This girl was relentless. She had a logical explanation for everything. He was enraged. So much so that he inadvertently caused the ceiling fan to detach from the holding. It came crashing down at the center table with a loud bang.

Payal shrieked and ran out of the flat. Khushi followed her. Arnav couldn't see if she was afraid too. Arnav hoped this would be it. He was growing tired of this child's play.

---------

Payal was hysterical. She ran down the flight of stairs but not into her house on the ground floor, rather into the street. Khushi tried to calm her down, as she ran after her.

Payal stopped at a deserted alley, leant against the wall and closed her eyes. Khushi caught up to her in a few seconds, panting.

"You are crazy if you don't see it," Payal exclaimed, once she calmed down. "I told you that house is haunted."

"Lights flickering and a plate dropping is not a ghost. There is an explanation for all of it. The kitchen shelf must have a loose screw causing utensils to fall. Your house is ancient. There is bound to be electric failures. And when was that ceiling fan installed? I am guessing ages back." Khushi countered her. "I'll check it and show you the problem in the shelf and the wiring." She added, "next weekend. I don't have time during weekdays."

Payal looked at her, flabbergasted, "I am not setting foot in that house ever again. And if you care for your safety, you won't too."

This was not going as per Khushi's plan at all. Payal was more frightened than she was earlier. Coming to her flat had made the situation worse. How could Payal see anything supernatural in these common problems? Why was Payal so certain that there was a ghost?

"You don't agree with me, do you?" Payal narrowed her eyes. "You don't believe me?"

Khushi bit her lower lip, "I just don't see it."