Chapter 62: Nothing Goes as Planned

Start from the beginning

The ramp door opened letting the group out, I came out of the ship while eating a bag of beef jerky, I turned to see Yang and Blake staring at the horizon. Blake hugged Yang making me sigh in frustration.

Ruby was looking through her scope at the landscape watching the grimm roam around. she then looked at Yang and Blake making the scythe wielder sad. She went back to looking through her scope

I walked up to the side of the cliff looking through the horizon seeing so many dead trees the sky was blood red for some reason. I felt a hand on my right shoulder, I turned to see Ren standing beside me.

"We'll find him." He told me making me smile weakly 

"Yeah..." I turned back to the Horizon

"ALBERT!!!" I heard Ruby shout my name

"SHHHHHH!" We all turn to her

She ignored us and ran towards me, using her semblance everyone else came to check what she was on about.

"Look at those trees over there." She pointed towards at a line of trees with a mountain range behind it.

I activated my helmet and zoomed in on the trees, I looked at them carefully but didn't see anything weird.

"I don't see anything Ruby." I said still looking at the trees 

"Have you noticed the shadows." She said

"Shadows?" I looked at the trees carefully then my eyes widen.

"They don't have shadows.." I said earning confuse looks from Qrow and Winter, I looked at the rest of the horizon seeing the entire line of dead trees not having any shadows, I turned to the dead tree but it had a shadow.

"....Qrow." I turned to him, But he already understood and disappeared I turned back to the horizon seeing a Crow flying in the distance.

'That asshole Batman'ed me...' I shook my head.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qrow's POV - few minutes later

I flew over the land seeing multiple types of Grimm but I ignored them and kept flying forward, I got closer and closer.

'Ruby was right these trees don't have shadows..' 

I landed beside one of the dead trees and inspect it seeing it look like any ordinary tree but it didn't have a shadow at all. I kept walking around but then, once I got the other side the entire horizon changed shocking me.

I flew further looking through the land seeing more and more of the rare grimms, I saw the large purple crystal which were coming from the ground

'An illusion...' I summarized, I looked forward the I saw a large structure in the middle of the all the evil.