"I'll be out in a minute," she said behind me.

I nodded and ran my fingers through my hair as I came into the living room. I knew Lyza must have had an idea of what went on in her room because she gave me a sympathetic, small smile.

"Next time, kid." Lyza patted my should when I sat next to her.

"She's too stubborn."

"And you're not?"

"Nope." I grinned.

"Tell me, how were you acting before she found out about your little, one-night stand?"

"Touche."

"Exactly-" Lyza snapped her fingers enthusiastically "-so give it time."

"Lots of time," I muttered begrudgingly.

"Okay, talk to you later," Elise said, coming down the hall. "Thanks, you too. Bye." She slid her phone into her back pocket as she became visible.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Gemma."  She sat on the chair beside the couch rather than the free spot next to me.

I nodded my head in acknowledgment but didn't open my mouth to respond. I was too busy clenching my jaw hard to stop myself from saying anything to make her upset.

"Who is that?" Lyza asked. "The Gemma chick."

Elise looked at me with a curious gaze, probably surprised that I didn't tell my best friend. Through that, there was a small smile on her lips.

"One of my co-workers."

"Making sure she's all safe?"

"She called me... but yeah," Elise said with a shrug.

"Uh-huh."

I drifted my gaze down to my nails in order to not risk making eye contact again. That smile was cute, no matter how small it was, but I was allowed to be mad at her. I knew my jealousy was completely unnecessary, but that was just how my character was.

~~~

"What the hell are we even supposed to do here if we're bored?" Lyza asked.

"Explore," I suggested.

"With sick freaks running around everywhere? No thank you."

"We didn't see any coming in," Elise said.

"That's true-" my best friend rubbed her chin thoughtfully "-but even one would completely fuck us over."

"I don't know... Natasha has a pretty mean right hook."

I flashed Elise a soft smile.

"Well, her hand is a little messed up right now so I don't trust that," Lyza said with a scoff.

I shifted in my seat, feeling the pistol and holster rub against my stomach, and said, "I think we'll be safe."

Elise raised an eyebrow, making me stare unnecessarily long because it was so attractive. "How so?"

"Trust me."

"Trust you?"

"Yes." I gulped in fear of rejection.

"I'll give it a shot."

So, we left the safety of our little cabin and went through the campground. We followed along the dirt road rather than exploring off the path. Elise insisted on holding my knife, saying my dominant hand was too injured to be of use. I agreed, mainly because I had a concealed pistol in my waistband.