"Sorry," He says apologetically. "I wasn't exactly looking where I was going."

I nod slowly.

"Okay..."

He sticks his hand out after clipping an M16 to his belt.

"I'm Kick." He says, and I take his hand.

"Keegan."

He smiles.

"Well, Keegan, I'd get ready to have one hell of a battle, cuz we're going against a lot of Federation soldiers." He informs, and I nod.

"Yeah, I know." I look around awkwardly. 

He grins. "We might be few in numbers, but I know that we're gonna win this. We're the best soldiers there are." He says determinedly.

Taking a breath, I smile forcefully.

"Yeah....I-"

Kick meets my eyes sincerely.

"I just hope you're okay today. I'd hate for you to get hurt. ANYONE, for that matter." He says, looking around.

I bite my lip, trying to get away from this guy. I see Merrick a bit away, and I glance back at Kick.

"Hey, I gotta go. My team is over there, but I guess I'll see you on the field." I say, and he nods.

"Yeah! Good luck!" He says optimistically, then walks off. I let out a deep breath, then walk to sit next to Merrick. He looks at me with a grin.

"I take it you're not exactly liking being social?" He asks with a joking tone, and I tilt my head to look at him with an exasperated look.

"I met a guy who wouldn't shut up. He was buzzy, and he-"

"Was his name Kick?" Merrick asks, and I sit up with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah..." I answer, and Merrick chuckles a little.

"Keegan, I know he seems annoying and hyper, but he's a really good soldier. He'll save your ass if you need. Don't judge a book by its cover." He says, and I nod.

Leaning back again, I close my eyes.

This is my first battle ever.

And there's only going to be sixty of us, going against 500 freaking Federation soldiers.

Why do I feel like this isn't going to end so well?

2 Hours Later

As the plane touches down, we all ready our guns. I glance over at Merrick, and he nods at me.

I can see Gavin and Spike across the plane, talking to a few other people.

A voice comes over the radio.

"Get your gear ready, men! It's gonna be one hell of a shit show!"

I take a deep breath as the door to the plane opens, and I can see the hospital in the distance. Already I can see the black uniforms of the Federation on top of the roof, and a feeling of anxiety runs through my body.

Merrick pats my shoulder.

"It'll be fine, kid. I'll say it again. I'll have your back the whole way through." He comforts, and I sigh.

We run out of the plane, and I see a man up ahead giving orders to the men. He has a black bandana tied around his head and a scar over his left eye. His tough look has nothing on his voice, screaming over all the noise.