"You know, Waqqar." He turned to face me, suddenly serious. "I would've been balled up in a corner, sulking if I weren't so happy for you." I frowned at him in confusion. "What do you mean?" I questioned. "Well. I'm a little jealous of you getting married before your elder brother." He paused and took another sip of his drink.

"Nothing's official yet." I mumbled quietly. " Romma's dad just sent me a proposal. I haven't responded yet." "Nevertheless, I'm extremely happy for you." He patted me on the head like he always did.

Bhaijan had always been the closest brother to me. He was always there during my childhood and we got along pretty well. The others were a lot older than me and were married before I even graduated high school. I don't remember the last time all of us spent time together as a family. All of my elder siblings were too busy and out of country to get to know me. My three sisters were married and busy in their own lives with their kids and my oldest brother was in France with this wife and children. Waqqas bhaijan and I were the only ones left unmarried. But I had to come here for studies while Bhaijan stayed in Pakistan, working in the airlines. It had always been his dream to be a pilot. He wasn't a pilot yet but I was sure he would be soon.

"Jazakumullah. That means a lot to me" I told him. "But... I'm a little unsure." I admitted. Bhaijan frowned. "Unsure of this marriage? But why? I heard she's a revert. Sure she doesn't wear the hijab, but you can help her with that after marriage. Khala told me she's quite the looker too, Ma shaa Allah. I don't understand what the problem is." He still had the frown on his face. I blushed a little when he said 'quite the looker'. I nodded. "Of course, that's true. She really is beautiful. No. Not beautiful. She's gorgeous. But that's the problem. I'm not the only one who noticed." I tried to explain.

Bhaijan was quiet for a moment  and then he understood, his lips formed a thoughtful 'o'. I continued talking. "She's great and I couldn't have possibly asked for a better person but she's had a past.." I trailed off a bit. "She used to engage in Haraam relationships if you get what I mean." Bhaijan was caught a little off guard by what I said. "She used to have boyfriends?" He asked me for confirmation. I nodded. "A lot of them. She's really popular and I don't know how far her relationships went." Bhaijan put his hand under his chin as if deep in thought. "Hmm. That is quite a problem." He said.

Overall, a person's character has a huge affect on the proposals for marriages in Islam, especially in Pakistani culture, where the past and background matters a LOT during this period. A person's character matters a lot and Romma's past wasn't exactly ideal in that department. Maybe she wouldn't understand it but there was a reason why I was doubting her.

"I'm a little stuck here, Bhaijan." I told him. " I really like Romma a lot. But when I think about her past, I get scared. I don't want to take the risk. What if she gets bored of me after marriage and gets back to being her old self? I don't want that." I explained, sadly. Bhaijan stayed quiet for a while but then he looked up with a comforting smile. He put a hand on my shoulder. "Yeah, that's a risk alright. But look, Waqqar. Marriage IS  a risk all in all. And despite that, we still have to do it. There's no one in this world who can guarantee you that any marriage is going to work. Even if you get married to the world's most pious and religious lady, you still can't be sure if it will work out. This is in the hands of Allah. If Allah doesn't want something to happen, it won't happen no matter what you do. And it's the same vice versa. Get what I mean?" Bhaijan paused to look at my reaction.

I was listening carefully to him. His words were really getting to me. I nodded to respond to his question. He continued. "Don't worry. Have faith in Allah. Maybe you and Romma were meant to be. And always remember, Allah is the best planner for His people. He won't ever let you down. Whatever He'll do, it'll be best for you." He finished with a smile on his face.

I felt ease in my heart all of a sudden at his words. Bhaijan was right. He was totally right. Allah is the best planner for everything. Allah would never want to hurt me. Whatever He will do, would be best for me. I had strong faith in that.

"The time for decision is now, little bro." Bhaijan told me, clapping me on my back. "Either you want her or you don't. It's a yes or no situation. Decide carefully."
I nodded. "I will, in Shaa Allah."

And I won't be going back on my word any time soon, in shaa Allah.

HER POV:

"I found it!" Iris exclaimed as she pointed to a shop at the dark corner of the mall. I looked at her with an excited look on my face. She grabbed my hand and dragged me inside the store. "I'm 100% sure you'll get you're looking for in here, in shaa Allah!" Iris told me confidently. My heart pounded in my chest due to the excitement.

Prom shopping was always such a thrill. I skipped along with her. "Then, what are we waiting for? Let's start our hunt!" I exclaimed. For the next twenty minutes, Iris and I were roaming around the shop looking for the perfect blend of blue and red. The place had everything a girl could dream for. My eyes looked hungrily at all those  dresses, stylish pieces but I still could not find the one I wanted. I finished searching the whole place and sighed in disappointment.

"Don't do that. Look at this one. It has all the colours. I'm thinking you should buy it." Iris took it out and shoved it in my face. I sighed. "I know, I know. But it's not the one. It just doesn't have that spark that I'm looking for." I was clearly disappointed. I had to look my best for prom tomorrow but I just couldn't find the perfect match for everything. I'd already bought matching shoes and jewelry but still...

Iris sighed and put away the cloth that she held out earlier. "Come on then. Let's go." She was more sad for me than having to leave the previous one that she had showed me. As we we reached the exit door, a lady in the shop's uniform came up to us. The girl was beautiful. She had dark black eyes and dark brown skin. She looked Indian. "I've been noticing you, ma'am. Did you get what you wanted?" She asked us politetly. Iris and I shook our heads. "I mean, the collections you have here are amazing but they're just not what we're looking for." I said.

The girl smiled at us and told us to follow her. "I've got a special collection over here. Maybe you can find some there?" She said as we stopped in front of a room at the deep corner of the shop. She opened the door and motioned us to wait outside. The girl returned from the room after a few minutes with a box in her hand. "What color do you need it in?" She asked me. "Bright sky blue or bright red." I answered. A bright smile spread on the girl's face. "I have just the thing!" She exclaimed opening the cardboard box.

Once the box was open, the girl started going through the cloths inside. She stopped as took out a beautiful one with a blue colour and red splashes over it. Excitement over took me and Iris and I stared squealing. "This. Is. Awesome! Gorgeous!" Iris exclaimed and I nodded my head furiously in agreement. I took the dazzling piece of clothing and hugged it tightly. "I love you Allah!" I exclaimed in Arabic and thanked the girl. "We'll be taking this one." Iris told her.

After we paid, I turned to Iris. "Everyone's gonna be so jealous!" I said and Iris nodded. " Not only is it super cute, it's so modest as well. I'm sure Waqqar would totally flip when he sees you in this." Iris elbowed me, a teasing grin on her face.

I blushed deep crimson. "I hope so."