Twelve Days to Die

Start from the beginning

"Sowhy the wood, master?" Jezzet asked, the tip of her blade followingYuri as he circled her.

"Tosee how far you have come."

Jezzetsmiled. I'll showyou just how far I've come, you old bastard.

Yuri stopped moving just a few paces away, his back straight as apole and his wooden sword held in one hand behind him, running upalong his back. He was standing south of Jezzet, trying to put thesun at his back, to blind her and mask his movements. Jezzet saw hismouth crinkle into a smile. He might be a Blademaster, but Yuri wasalso a master of misdirection.

The sun is a trick!Jezzet glanced down to see he was barefoot just as Yuri started tomove, pivoting away from her and bringing his left leg up in a spinkick. She danced backwards but the kick was never meant to land. Thegrass Yuri had torn from the ground flew towards Jezzet, a smallstorm of little green blades, and behind them came Yuri.

The old Blademaster came up underneath the flying grass and hiswooden sword whipped upwards in an arc that aimed to slice Jezzetfrom groin to collar. She parried the blow to the left and flowed tothe right, barely dodging out of the way as Yuri attempted to followthrough the attack with his shoulder.

He gave Jezzet no time to gather herself, moving with her and aiminga hard jab at her legs followed by another. Jezzet found herselfgiving ground again and again, on the defensive as she parried anddodged, looking for something that might be considered an opening.

He's fast for such an old man, Jez. Always has been. You'refaster.

She stepped into his next attack, bringing her own wooden sword up ina figure eight, brushing his attack away and flowing into her own.Yuri's advance slid to a stop and he backed away as Jezzet whippedstrike after strike towards his face, each one blocked or missing itsmark as Yuri swayed from side to side. Jezzet ducked, going down ontoher left knee and stabbing towards Yuri's legs, a quick jab which hebarely sidestepped away from, then Jez's sword was back in time toblock the counter as Yuri tried to bring his sword down on her head.

They stayed there for a couple of heartbeats, Jezzet with her swordheld up by her head and Yuri pressing down on the blade with his ownas he stood over her. She knew she wasn't likely to win a test ofstrength with the old man; Jezzet was strong but Yuri was stronger,despite his years and recent apathy.

She felt the pressure waver for just a moment and Jezzet pushed backto her feet, knocking Yuri's blade away and forcing him to stumble astep backwards. She should have capitalised on the advantage, shouldhave taken the opportunity to press the attack, but she was tooshocked. And Yuri looked just as shocked.

He's weak, Jez. Weaker than you. Slower than you. Time to pay thebastard back for all the beatings.

Yuri's sword seemed to come out of nowhere, straight into a jab thatwould have skewered Jezzet, but she blocked with her own just intime. Yuri ducked down at the last moment and the hilt of his woodensword smashed into Jez's leg. She gasped at the pain, but before shecould counter attack, Yuri was already back on his feet and a spinkick connected with her face, sending her rolling arse over tit inthe grass.

Jezzettasted blood. Her leg ached and her mouth stung. She grinned up atYuri. Nothing likea fight to get the blood going, Jez. Time to finish the bastard onceand for all.

Yuri danced forwards again and Jezzet scrambled backwards on handsand arse until her back hit the fence. She felt the goat nuzzle ather short hair, thinking about taking a nip. Yuri came closer stilland Jezzet thrust her wooden sword at him, a wild strike he brushedaway with ease and whipped his sword around to bring down upon herhead. Jezzet waited until the last moment and rolled away. She heardYuri grunt as he pulled his blow, desperate not to hit the goat.