A Crossroad Of Two Halves

Start from the beginning

"I meant to call," I said, finding Erik's black BMW.

"What did Boris say?" Papa asked on the other line. "Are you alright?"

"He didn't do anything to me. We talked. Then he may have ordered his henchman, Konstantin to put a gun to mine and Nina's heads when I sorta started my refusal to do his bidding."

Multiple gasps.

"He didn't shoot us," I assured them. "Obviously, I wouldn't be talking to you if he did. He wants me for a job."

"What's the job?" Levin said, skeptically.

"You remember the Russian I mentioned?"

"Maksim," they all echoed which told me Mikhail had me on speaker.

I rolled my eyes. Of course they remembered his name.

"Yes. Boris wants me to seduce him. Keep an eye on him with my camera and report the photos back."

"I don't know," said Mama. "It sounds very sketchy. There has to be a catch to all of it. Why would he need you to seduce the boy?"

"I don't believe Boris is a man of estimating his ideals. He knows the family because Maksimillian's parents knew him. I'm guessing the father is his brother."

"So you go after this Russian?" Dedushka asked. His question came out like a croaking toad. Age caught up fast this year.

"He said their family has a old tie. The brothers had a falling out. And the guy, Konstantin? Boris mentioned something about having contacts in Russia. Almost like-"

I went silent.

"Like what?" Papa's weary carried through the phone.

"I'm not absolutely sure," I stated quietly. "Konstantin looked an awful like Aleksandr. And it can't be a coincidence he's from Russia too."

"But that can be possible," Mikhail debated. "He works for Boris. Most of his henchman come from there. He's never changed whatever crazy society they picked him off."

"I wouldn't rule it out," Levin advised. "Maybe I can hack into the school's library and see if I can gather any dirt on them. It might be a wide shot, but I can manage it under a minute."

"Isn't that a crime?" I debated all odds of this not going according to plan in my head.

"Don't you want to find out about your boyfriend? Or not?"

"For the last time. He is not my boyfriend. I tolerate him because he's Erik's cousin. The boy is a giant great pain in my ass."

"Right." I imagined he rolled his eyes.

"Hey. I barely know the guy."

"We're not blind, cuz," said Mikhail. "The man is all about Korina. Levin can vouch for me too. He's been tracking him and his brothers."

"What? Who said for you to do that?"

"I did," Papa answered. "After the confirmation Maksim is part of the Bratva, I had to take extremes to know my daughter was safe. He's very...watchful of you. It's scary, but I've seen that look before."