Showers are No Fun Alone

Start from the beginning

I looked over at Jacob, the baby was coming so fast so I had to make up my mind.

Later as we lay in bed for my now customary afternoon nap I thought about the aspects of baby versus wedding first. If we had the wedding first, I wouldn't get to have it exactly the way I wanted. You can't buy more time, there's nothing you can do about overbooked caterers and DJs. This would be my only wedding and I wanted it to be perfect and I didn't want my wedding day to involve throwing up in my gown. On the other hand, I really wanted to be married before the baby came. I knew that would disappoint Daddy even if he'd never tell me. I wouldn't mind rushing the wedding, I wasn't afraid. I was more sure of the fact that Jacob and I were meant for each other than I'd ever been sure of anything in my life.

"Hey," Jake interrupted my thoughts, "Did I ever tell you what my cousin did when she was pregnant?"

I shook my head. I had no idea what cousin he was talking about.

"She wasn't already engaged like us, but she got married at a courthouse before her baby came so they were legally married. Then after the baby, they had the ceremony and the party and all of that. She did it because she knew there wouldn't be time, plus she didn't wanna get married when she was all big. What do you think about that?"

"Hmm. I think that's a really good idea actually. Let's do it."

"How about... next Saturday?" he asked.

I smiled at him, "Let's get married."

"Okay then, let's get married!"

I heard Aunt Alice exclaim, "Finally!" from downstairs.

I knew they'd all heard, even if they hadn't they would all know now that Aunt Alice had seen it. She wouldn't have been able to keep that to herself, not a chance. I dragged myself out of bed and out to the top of the stairs. The first eyes I met were my father's. When I saw his face, I knew I had made the right decision.

"We are getting married, by a judge at the courthouse next Saturday." I announced grandly, "Which doesn't require any type of party, Aunt Alice. Then baby shower, then after the baby is born, wedding ceremony and reception. Ta da! That is all."

Jacob took a bow and Uncle Emmett cracked up, "Look a the kid taking a bow for knocking up his woman!"

Nanna Esme gasped and shot him a look.

"Hey, what can I say, I got some strong swimmers!" Jacob said proudly, which elicited another gasp from Nanna.

Uncle Jasper and Aunt Alice joined in Emmett's laughter. After my nap in Jacob's arms we went downstairs to watch Nanna Esme design the house Jacob and I would soon live in.

Nanna Esme had moved her desk downstairs and spent all day working on what would be our home on the other side of the property. Almost the whole family was always set up downstairs. I didn't have to lift a finger, there was always somebody there to get me what I needed. Being pregnant is great.

One week later

If these people do not get away from me, I am going to start cracking some skulls together I swear to God. It wasn't just one person, it was everybody. Hovering, all the time. Here they come, everyday with the damn picture taking.

"Go away!" I wailed to my aunts. I hid myself under my blanket and tried to bury myself into the couch.

"We can take the picture with or without you smiling, Ness." said my always gentle Aunt Rose.

Bah! Aunt Alice wormed her way under the blanket with me, making a little tent.

"Now, Nessie, you're going to regret it later if you don't document every day of this. Think of how great it will be to show these pictures to your baby when he's older!" I lifted the tent to see Jacob on the other end of the couch smiling hopefully at me.