1: Corridors

Content note: this chapter contains depictions of ableism and queermisia, including starred-out slurs and discriminatory attacks. It also contains censored use of the word "ps*cho" in a derogatory way.

She's wearing a denim jacket, fairly loose shirt and ripped jeans. Her boots are clean and her skin is clear and there's nothing stuck to her back so the only possible reason kids are laughing and pointing at her could be the assortment of pride pins on both her jacket and her bag - not that dirty boots and spotted skin or things stuck to her back would justify this.

She'd like to think that things had progressed since last year, when she was called a "r*tarded d*ke". But, honestly, given how little her school cares about its marginalised students since the new leadership took over, she shouldn't have expected so much. 

Her heroes used to attend this school. They were disabled kids who had been homeschooled by ableist parents their whole lives until they started attending here, but it's been a decade since then. Nowadays, racism, sexism, ableism and queermisia are free to roam the halls.

Why does she care so much? Considering she is a victim of all four types of discrimination just mentioned, you shouldn't be so surprised.

Once, a boy at her school forgot his anti-psychotics and had a manic episode. Instead of being supportive, the school suspended him for "disobedience and disruption". They allowed the students to laugh at him and the headmaster said, in front of other students, "Stop acting like such a ps*cho".

"My name is Rose Hakim-Lewis, and here are some facts about me. As a Black, autistic, gay woman, I've faced numerous counts of discrimination within our own school, and I know some of you here have too. Today, we fight to change this."