Bonus Chapter #2 - Casey's Confession

Start from the beginning

Donnie looked like someone had clubbed the living heck out of him with a sledgehammer. Every part of the genius turtle that Casey could see was either bruised or bandaged.

Dragging his feet along, Casey slowly approached the cot. His awkward movements made it look as though some unseen force was trying to hold him back, almost like he was possessed, but Raphael never even noticed Casey's strange behavior. His just kept his forehead pressed against the mattress. Well, up until Casey finally spoke.

"How's he holding up?"

The question instantly made Raph's spine straighten so he was sitting bolt upright.

That's when Casey saw Donnie wasn't the only brother in tough shape. The rims of Raphael's puffed-up eyes matched the color of his mask, but Casey was currently more focused on the anger emerging in the fierce, green orbs glaring at him.

"How's it look like he's holding up?"

There was far more bitterness in Raph's tone than Casey had expected. Sure, Raph was always a bit of a... hothead, but Casey had mistakenly assumed his friend would be more down in the dumps than up in arms.

"Uh, is somethin' wrong, Raph?"

"Did you seriously just ask me if something's wrong?" With a mix of incredulity and aggravation written on his face, Raph flicked his wrist at his unconscious brother to stress that there was indeed something very, very wrong.

For a second, the temperamental turtle wondered how his friend could possibly be so insensitive, but then, he remembered this was Casey Jones he was talking to.

Duh!

"Sorry. Stupid question. My bad."

"It's been six days, Casey. I sent you like a dozen messages. Where the shell have you been?" There was a sharp edge to Raphael's voice, but it projected more hurt than anger. Casey figured it probably wasn't an appropriate moment to point out that Raph had only texted him four times. Not unless he wanted to end up like poor Donnie.

"I – I know, man. I've just been – " Once again, words failed him. Casey just stared at Raph, slack-jawed and uncharacteristically mute.

"You've just been what? Too busy to come down here? Like you had more important things to do? Do you have any idea how hard this has been?"

The last question caused the black-haired teenager to dip his head down, just trying to focus on anything other than his red-masked friend's accusing eyes.

Casey totally understood why Raph was so upset, but Raph literally had no clue why Casey was.

What the turtle in red didn't realize was that Casey knew far too well just how hard it had been.

"Well, aren't you gonna say something?" All the rage currently pouring out of Raph was nothing more than a false front. A means of hiding what he was really feeling inside: fear.

"I'm sorry. It's – It's complicated, okay?"

"Complicated? Your I.Q. is lower than your shoe size! How complicated can it be?"

Though he never considered himself to be the most perceptive guy on the planet, Casey immediately recognized that Raph was doing everything in his power to push him away. Grief was funny that way. Just when you need someone the most, you choose to shut everyone out. Casey had been guilty of the same thing. Hence the reason he wasn't so easily dissuaded.

Raph could insult him all he wanted; Casey wasn't going anywhere. He would never flake out on his best friend like that.

"Dude! That was way harsh, yo."