29. Duties v/s Love

Start from the beginning

"Manik I'm sorry. Ab gussa chod bhi do." Nandini said for the upteenth time as his silence was eating her up. He stopped the car right there.

"What do you want me to say?"

"Say anything. Let your anger out but please don't stay quiet."

"Tumhe kya zaroorat thi aisa karne. Agar tumhe kuch ho jata toh. And you wanted to come here all alone. He is a psycho Nandini, why don't you understand, mein tumhe nahi kho sakta"

"Manik sorry na. I promise I'll listen to your advice. Sorry sorry sorry sorry..." She continued chanting sorry holding her ears making a cute face.

"Don't do that. I cannot resist that face."

"So that means am I forgiven?"

"Yes." Out of her happiness she crashed her lips on his surprising him. "I think I should get angry often." He said winking at her as she smacked his arm.

"By the way Manik what's special next week?"

"Ummm...I don't know." He replied pretending to think.

"Hawww...okay I'll give you a hint. It's someone's birthday."

"Someone's birthday? But whose?"

"Manik!!!!" She whinned.

"Okay let me guess. There's this beautiful lady named Nandini who's my dearest wife and her birthday's coming up next week." This made her grin.

"It'll be your best birthday Nandini, I promise." He said kissing her cheek.

* * *

They soon reached home. As they entered Manik stood there aghast whilst Nandini was confused on seeing his reaction. There was an aged couple sitting along with her in laws unknown to her. Little did she know that they were Nidhi's parents.

"Maa, papa when did you guys come?" Manik asked regaining his senses.

"Just a while ago when you were out with your new wife." Nidhi's mother Anita replied stressing on the word 'new wife'.

"Ohh...Umm..Nandini they are Nidhi's parents and maa, papa she's Nandini." Manik introduced them. Nandini took blessing from them. Nidhi's father Sumit blessed her without any hesitation whereas Anita was reluctant at first.

"Uncle, aunty you could've called us, we would have picked you up from the airport." Nandini said.

"We don't need to inform anybody. Manik pretty well know's that we come at this time of month from the past four weeks." Anita replied curtly.

"Ohh.." Was all that Nandini had as a reply. She was still confused with their sudden arrival.

"I hope Manik you haven't forgotten what's coming up next week."

"No maa I haven't. I cleary remember what's next week." Manik replied. The truth is that he truly forgot this important event. He didn't remember it until few moments ago.

"Is there something special next week? Wow it's really cool we'll celebrate two events next week." Nandini replied cheerily. She couldn't control her happiness now that everything between Manik and her is fine. She was being her true self after so long.

"Uh, two events?" Sumit questioned.

"One is my birthday and the other is the one you guys are talking about."

"Nandini beta we're talking about Nidhi's death anniversary." Sumit replied softly. A sympathetic smiled formed on her face. "When is it?"

"20th September." Both Manik and Sumit replied. Nandini's smile instantly disappeared.

"Kya huya Nandini beta aap itni udaas kyu hogayi?" Manik closed his eyes at this. He knew the reason behind this.

"20th september ko mera birthday hai." Her voice sounded like a whisper. Everybody's expression turned into a horror ones.

From the past four years on 20th september a pooja takes place. Manik is the one who does the pooja. But this year is completely different. He was stuck in between. Nidhi was an integral part of his life and he never missed her death anniversary. He cannot imagine doing so. But Nandini is also an integral part of his life and it is her birthday. Her first birthday. This confusion is going to arise for all the awaiting years. It is wrong to conduct the death anniversary of your late wife in front of your second wife, isn't it? But if he breaks this ritual then it will be unfair to Nidhi who has loved him all her life and expected nothing in return. But it will also be wrong if he doesn't keep up the promise he made to Nandini. Even Nandini loves him without any expectations and if celebrating her birthday with him gives her happiness then he has no right to take away that happiness from her.

"Manik I hope Nidhi still matters to you and you will still be present on her death anniversary and do the pooja. Are you even listening to me Manik??" Anita yelled at him bringing him back to his senses.

"I remember maa and jaise har saal hota hai iss baar bhi aise hi hoga. Nidhi ki barsi ke din mein hi pooja karunga." He replied in a frustrated tone. Nandini excused herself from there but those unshed tears weren't hidden from Manik.

•••••••••

If you were at Manik's place, what would you have done?

••••••••

Okay, it maybe crappy but I wrote this story with certain situations in my mind which may take place in second marriage. So I'm nearly done with penning down those, 4-5 updates more and its ending. I don't really get mushy mushy in updates so I wont unnecessarily stretch it, and storyline is at ending, so I'd end this on a happy note with an epilogue :)

Aap sab naraz hai merse, and wo jayaz hai. Tbh I had this update written 1 month back, and I was thinking that what all can I add to the story before ending. But nothing else was coming in my mind, so I decided to end it happily. And I'll wrap it up soon with faster updates.

••••••

HUMSAFAR shall be updated tonight! Hope to see y'all there as well❤