I can't go around looking like this!

OF COURSE YA CAN! YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO, IT'LL ONLY VANISH ONCE YOU COMPLETE YOUR END. JUST HIDE IT UNDER YOUR HAIR LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO!

Then just tell me what I have to do! Mettaton tapped his foot impatiently, ready to get this over with. If he knew shaking Bill's hand was going to cause ugliness, he might not have done it in the first place. No point in being a star if you can't even look good doing it.

NOT YET! I HAVE TO MAKE A FEW PREPARATIONS BEFORE YOUR PART COMES IN! DON'T WORRY, LITTLE BOLT... YOU WON'T BE WORRYING ABOUT IT FOR MUCH LONGER.

Mettaton sighed, adjusting his hair so it covered the blemish. Bill was a demon, after all. Mettaton had to accept that he would move at his own pace, and he couldn't do anything about that. Demons surely didn't like having demands made of them very much. From the sense he got from Bill after that thought, too, he seemed to be quite correct.

"Don't tell a single SOUL about that." Mettaton addressed Rose, turning back to her, a serious expression on his face.

"I wasn't planning on it, but okay." She was watching him with an unreadable expression. It made him feel distinctly sized up. Like she could see right through him or something. And he wasn't transparent whatsoever!

"Oh, and by the way..." Mettaton narrowed his eyes, steeling his resolve. Her gaze unsettled him, but he had to show her that he wasn't rattled. "Not that it's any of your business, but my parents died for the future of monster scientific advancement. I don't know where you heard about them, but perhaps next time you should mind your business, lest you embarrass yourself further."

He rushed out of the room quickly. NOT running. Of course not. Running would mean he was scared or something. Mettaton was not scared of one tiny, human woman. No matter how unsettling she was. No matter what lies she spread about his parents.

Mettaton tried not to think too often of the parents he'd never gotten the chance to know. But he knew they had been brilliant. Humans were amazing, sure, but what did they know of Echo Flowers? The former Royal Scientists had done so much studying Echo Flowers. Discovered uses for the nectar that were still used today. Even in Mettaton's own body.

He didn't really understand it, but the flowers had weight-augmenting properties. By utilizing the nectar, Alphys had managed to make the tons of metal he was made out of weigh almost nothing. So he could dance. So he could move freely without feeling like he was weighed down. If not for that, it may have been too much of a shock going from floating to walking. Or, rolling, at first at least.

That was just one of the discoveries made by the brilliant Altioblook and Ariablook. All Mettaton's life, he'd been told they were great. Expected to be like them. In almost all areas, Mettaton had disappointed. Come up short. He'd never be quite as smart as they had been. And an innate love of science was something he lacked. But he was surrounded by science. Owed everything to science.

So he did what he could to try to be someone his parents would be proud of. Hoped he was doing the right things. From time to time, they crossed his mind, especially when he got nostalgic and found the old pictures. Or listened to the preserved Echo Flower they'd left with a message for him. He carried that close to him at all times.

WHAT A SOB STORY! Bill said cheerfully, shrilly. Mettaton winced. BUT I SUPPOSE I CAN SORTA RELATE! I DON'T HAVE PARENTS EITHER, KID! I THINK WE HAVE A LOT IN COMMON!

Do demons usually have parents? Mettaton wondered. Did you... lose them, too? Like me?

TSK, TSK, KID! Bill clicked his tongue. THAT'S A CONVERSATION FOR ANOTHER TIME!