"Don't forget about the wedding next week." Mrs. R reminds me.

"Oh! I wouldn't miss seeing your engagement for the world." Mrs. R and I have gotten fairly close since I first enrolled into Starshine. In fact, I'm the only student she confided in about her engagement.

"Oh! The way he proposed was so romantic!" I remember her saying.

"There were so many rose petals and candles and it all happened so sweetly. I can't even believe he did it after all the problems we've been going through."

"He knows he loves you. Even with the problems." I beam a smile at her. She beams one back, but very weakly.
Uh, oh. I know something's coming, I think to myself.

"Yes I know," She looks wearily away at something behind me.

"But?" I ask, knowing her all too well.

"But, there's a part of me that's- um,"

"Spill the beans, Ms. R." I say with a slight sternness.

"I don't feel very much attracted to him as I used to."

"OH GOD!" I cry out, feeling deep anguish and anger towards her words.

"It's just that I'm so young and I don't think I wanna be married so early. Maybe in my 30s or something. But not now." She states shyly. I look at her furiously.

"So who is it?"

"What?"

"Who's the guy that's making you question this marriage?" She freezes as if she's been figured out, which she definitely has. I know her better than anyone.

"Jason." She finally breathes.

"Oh god!" I say, exasperated by her.

"He's super sweet. And kind. And he is really the best. And the love he gives, just makes a grown woman go wild."

"I think I've heard enough!" We may be extremely close but there is a time in a boy's life where he must draw the line in the sand. And this, having a sex talk with my principal, was one of those times.

"Sorry Nicholas. I kinda forgot who I was talking to for a moment." She looks slightly embarrassed while I sit, extremely uncomfortable.

She notices my uncomfortability.

"So... how's you and Madison? It's been almost a year, right?"

"Yeah, 11 months in two weeks." I answered, dejected.

"Well you don't sound happy. What's wrong?"

"Well, you're not the only one in love with someone else."

"Really? Who?"

"Sigh, it's Karmin."

"Karmin? Ms. Everbleed?!" She sounds surprised but I'm not really sure.

"Oh Nicholas, that's great!" She embraces me in a big hug while I stand beneath her, completely baffled.

"How?"

"Oh Nicholas, please. All these other girls aren't exactly the cleanest if you know what I mean." I chuckle slightly.
"And besides Karmin is an amazing student. With her own lovely style and intelligence."

"Yeah, I know." I sound in a trance. She really is amazing.

I think back on that conversation, the reason why Madison and I are no more. The reason my new pursuit is her. Karmin.

I get into homeroom, having to slide past my crush hurriedly because I didn't want to be late. She seemed lost in a daze next to her best friend but that could just be because I rushed past her so.