Her father scratched the back of his neck, awkwardly. "Oh, did I not mention it? They, uh, like to keep to themselves. But we must not worry, because at least then no trespassers won't get in. It is only for safety precautions.

Deidre curled into a ball, trying to hide when they neared the opening. She wondered what they were about to go through, but they had a little time since there was a car in front of them. "Daddy-"

"It's all right, sweetie. They are only going to talk to us. Everything will be fine," her dad reassured.

Deidre pressed herself to the door in case she had to bolt out.

But it was too late. The gates opened and the car in front of them drove in. They drove a mile but halted at the shout of a man in a booth. "Name, please!"

"Fred Thompson."

The man checked his computer and typed. "Family of three. Fred Thompson, Fiona Thompson, and Deidre Thompson."

Fred nodded. "Yes, that's correct."

"I need the age of your daughter, you have not written it down," the worker said with narrowed eyes.

Deidre shrunk in her seat at the mention of her.

"Can I ask why?"

The worker quirked a brow at her father's question. "It is a matter of policy. We need information about every single one of our people, for safety. If you want more specific reasons then you will need to speak to the council or the alpha."

"The age is seventeen," he answered. Birthdate: 16th of February, 1973."

"All right. And I also need to know if she has had any training before."

Deidre was astonished, wondering if she would be sent into an army or what that was even about.

Fred frowned. "No. We did not have that in our old pack."

"And which pack are you from? You haven't listed that either."

"The North Frost Pack," Fred replied.

It was odd when the worker grabbed three papers from the printer, handed them to Fred, and smirked. "Well, enjoy the change. I am sure the Shadow Frost Pack will bring much joy to you."

Fred went in to reply, but the worker interrupted.

"Oh, one more thing. Every citizen is required to wear a bracelet that is not to be removed. Everyone is handed them at all places, if you don't have one then you will be forced to be given one. You will get it at work, the daughter will get it at school. Any questions?"

Fiona tried to ask, but the man again disrupted.

"I see there are no questions. Everything was understood. Enjoy your stay," he said and pressed a button that had the gates opening.

"We are definitely not staying here. We are leaving," her mother said, or actually, commanded.

Deidre watched her father start the car and drive off inside. "We are staying. It is no big deal that we have to wear those bracelets. I am sure it is for a good cause. The safety methods are only for our protection. Stop taking everything so seriously."

"This is crazy. I do not trust this town. It terrifies me. Let's leave while we have the chance."

Her father stole a glance at Deidre from the rearview mirror. "Sweetie, you like it here, right? You do not think it is dangerous?"

Her mind told her to run and scream that they had to leave. But Deidre's heart told her it was a great place and this was their new home. Her instincts kicked in and a part of her heart shattered at the idea of leaving. Listen to the heart or mind? At the hopeful look in her father's eyes, she sighed and made up her mind.

"Um, I think we can try it out," she said with a forced smile. "I mean, it's wrong to judge a book by its cover. It should be the same for towns."

The hopefulness gleamed brighter on his face. "That's my girl. See, honey, if Deidre is willing to try it out then why can't you?"

Her mother narrowed her eyes for a minute at her daughter. "Fine, but if anything happens then I am blaming you. If I see any kind of threat then we are out of here."

Deidre kept her mouth shut the entire ride to their new home. Her parents bickered throughout the ride, Fiona shouting about the horrible scenarios she had witnessed. Deidre had seen them too. A guard had punched an unarmed man on the street, and then three other guards had tackled the poor man. There had been no reason for that fight.

"We're here."

Deidre looked out the window, finding they had stopped in front of a wooden two-story home with a grey wooden fence. It looked to be a nice neighbourhood. 

"The houses here are pretty cheap, even the nice houses. This whole pack is very cheap. The realtor gave us a wonderful deal."

"Yeah, I wonder why," her mother scoffed.

Fred sighed. "Just try to keep an open mind. Give this town a chance, we have only been here half an hour. You don't even know the people."

Her mother rolled her eyes. "I know some stuff and I already do not like them. If I see something good then maybe I will change my mind, but from what I have already seen, I strongly doubt it."

Fred watched Fiona exit the car, and he exited too, turning to Deidre who was checking out the house in wonder. "Deidre, you are okay with this, right? You are going to give this town a chance?"

Say no, her mind told, but her heart would not listen.

"Yes. I find it interesting," she lied. "I believe it is going to be a nice place to live in."

"That's my kiddo," Fred exclaimed, patting the top of her head before kissing it. "Now let me get this stuff out of the car so we can settle in. The movers should arrive soon enough."

Deidre nodded but froze in place as coldness wrapped around her. And the dread of what would happen in that town left her with an empty feeling in her heart. Somehow, she knew this town would bring more harm than good.

//////////

Comments and votes are appreciated :).

Lots of love <3.