Chapter 15

Thick, imposing darkness greeted the companions as the pocket of magic melted from around them. Each fought the uneasy feeling the spell caused — a nausea similar to seasickness but not as violent. It struck Viola the hardest since she was the source of the spell. She doubled over as her insides fought to escape her. Janessa grabbed her by the arm and tried to steady her. As quick as the feeling struck Viola, it was gone.

"I'm fine." Was all Viola could manage to say to her friend. Janessa let her go, her own eyes were filled with worry. Viola straightened, smoothing her robes where she had held onto them a moment earlier. After a minute, and a few breaths, she broke the uneasy silence. "I think... there were too many of us. Or..." A shiver ran through her body, keeping her from finishing her thought.

Worried, Janessa cast a glance to Gilliam, but the cleric shook his head in answer to her silent question. While he could do nothing for her symptoms, which had already passed, he did step forward until his face was inches from hers. His dark, penetrating eyes locked onto Viola's, attempting to find an answer to his own questions. Satisfied, though not relieved, he turned to the others. "She's fine, just a little shaken."

"Can't blame the lass there." Galin's eyes swept across his line of sight searching for something. "We're not alone."

All of them felt it. The feeling of a thousand eyes locked onto them sent shivers through each of the companions. Only Gilliam seemed immune to it. Something Viola found herself envious of at the moment, although she doubted that was the reason for her uncontrolled shiver a moment earlier. Towards the end of the spell, she allowed herself to become distracted. Her lack of focus was what made the transportation spell so difficult on them, on her. She could've killed them all then and there. They were lucky, and she understood that better than the rest. She needed to be certain to concentrate harder the next time, the spells on the scrolls Mern gave her were more advanced than she was used to. The next time she used one... it could kill them all. Her difficult lesson learned, she did her best to ignore the feeling of the spirits.

Without being heeded, Gilliam stepped forward into the darkness straight and proud. "Have no fear; we're not here to hurt you." The feeling surrounding them seemed to lesson, but not enough for the companions to stop looking for the one creature they were sure was sneaking up behind them. Gilliam held out his arms to his sides, his robes giving him the appearance of a moth or colorless butterfly. "We seek only safe passage to the tunnels beneath Hope's walls."

"I don't like this. Give me something I can fight, but ghosts?" Galin's words sounded hoarse as he whispered them to no one in particular.

Janessa's head turned like it was on a swivel. "It was never like this before, never this bad."

Berek's hand rested on the hilt of his sword while he scanned their surroundings with his night vision. At last, he was certain they were being watched by spirits. He didn't doubt his uncle, he simply didn't believe in such things until that moment. "They're feeding on our fear." Not sure where the realization came from, Berek knew it was the right answer.

"I don't mind telling you that I'm not a good dinner guest." So out of place was Viola's comment, that the others burst into laughter, though it was short-lived.

Gilliam heard every word spoken, but he ignored them while praying to Fallor to ease the restlessness of the dead around them. He was so intent on his prayers, he didn't seem to notice the young mage's comment, something she noted with an oath to be like him from that moment forward. For long tense minutes, Gilliam prayed, but the restless souls refused to leave. Then, when he wasn't expecting it, he felt his prayers answered and his hand being drawn to his mace.