i. the encounter

"come in!" 

louis called out clearly, not bothering to look up from his papers. the door swung open, revealing the person who had been knocking on it- however, louis could not care less to see who was the little shithead who decided to disturb his work. 

"mr. tomlinson, i'm uh- i'm here to bring your tea." upon hearing the stuttering mess, louis looked up. his eyes laid upon a brunette lad with blonde eyes and a buttchin. he furrowed his brows, not recalling ever hiring this person. then again- he leaves all the work to his personal assistant, liam. 

"and you are ..?" louis drawled out, a brow raising questioningly at the lad. 

"i'm niall horan, sir. i'm the new intern- just started today!" niall said, flashing a bright smile at his boss, trying his best to impress the older man. 

louis nodded his head, looking back down at his papers. niall's face fell at his boss' uninterested actions. trying to act unbothered, he spoke, "i'll just put your tea here."

"two sugars, no milk?" 

niall looked up, confusedly, "i'm sorry, what?" 

"the tea. is it two sugars and no milk?" louis asked again. niall blinked, "oh! i uh- actually i didn't make it, elliot offered to-"

louis placed down his pen harshly, silencing niall. "and what exactly is elliot's position?" 

niall smiled- it seems like his boss is actually interested in talking to him now and he won't fuck this up. "she's the janitor. she was really kind, offered me to help make your tea, even." 

"i like my tea with two sugars, no milk. better imprint it to that useless brain of yours before you continue making other people do your work for you." louis said sharply, causing niall to widen his eyes in offense. he stacked his papers, slamming them down on the large desk a couple times to straighten them and then handed them to niall, who was still standing a few feet away from him.

"now hand them over to mr. payne, will you? i don't want the janitor to do it this time, if i hear you slacking off and having another person do your work for you, i would gladly change your position in work with said person." louis said, his eyes never leaving niall's, as the younger lad took the stack of papers from the older with shaky hands, he muttered a, "yes sir. sorry, sir." 

__

"i swear to god- he is an A class a-hole! i mean, imagine being so fucking pressed at other people being kind to one another- ugh!" harry listened intently to his best friend complaining. well, not really intently, as he accidentally got distracted a couple times and even stared at a butterfly fly by. 

but niall didn't seem to care, since he knew how easily harry gets distracted. his best friend was autistic- but he didn't mind at all. he loved harry all the same despite his mental condition. 

"who?" harry asked, again, for the 4th time. other people would have been annoyed, but niall was an exception. explains why he's stuck by harry's side for so long- before he was even medically diagnosed with autism, even. 

"my boss, louis tomlinson!" 

"his name sounds nice." harry said, smile widening. 

"no, he's not. at all." 

"oh." harry's smile fell. 

"he insulted me just because someone offered to do a favour for me! what was i supposed to say no? and get this- it was my first day there! how the hell was i supposed to know how he liked his tea?! the janitor just so happened to be there and knew how that douchebag liked his tea and offered to teach me!" niall complained loudly, "forget i said douchebag, by the way. it's a bad word, don't say it." he added quickly, realizing what he just said.