Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Only if you want to be."

I nod and push open the doors. A greenhouse stands at the edge of my garden. The air inside is warm and humid. I pull a smock over my dress and dive into tending the growing vegetable plants. As the sun begins to fade, the door opens. I turn to see my husband standing in the doorway, a warm smile spreading across his face.

I run to him and throw my arms around his neck. "Azriel!" He presses his lips against my forehead. "I missed you."

Azriel picks me up in his arms and carries me towards the house. "I missed you too."

At the door to our room, he sets me down. "Can we talk?" I ask.

"Of course." He leads me to sit on the bed. I interlace my fingers with his.

"Feyre just told me about Nesta." Azriel nods. "I... I'm not sure how I feel about her being sent to the Illyrian camps. I know her behavior is destructive, but she is also my sister. The war still haunts her."

He puts his arm over my shoulder and pulls me into his warmth. "Rhys and Feyre believe this might be what she needs to finally face what happened to her."

"She has been avoiding the problems rather than healing."

"Yes."

"What if she's too far gone? What if she can't..."

"Don't give up hope for your sister. You know her better than any of us, but Nesta doesn't seem like she has it in her to give up."

I let out a small laugh. "Cassian can't be too thrilled with the arrangements."

"I think it was his idea to begin with. He needs to spend time in the camps, and Nesta needs to get out of the city."

"The general of the Night Court's armies reduced to a babysitter."

Azriel's smile widens. "He will survive, I'm sure."

"I don't think I can be there for that conversation."

"Well, I have some business to attend to outside of Velaris tomorrow. Would you care to join me?"

"Of course, but first..." I catch his lip between my teeth. A low moan escapes Azriel's throat as he pulls me down on top of him.

"I have missed you so, so much, Elain." He plants a line of kisses down my neck.

"Oh? Show me how much." A wicked grin spreads across his face as shadows erupt around the room.

Azriel strokes the hair from my face. Sunlight streams in through the small gaps in the curtains. "What time is it?" I mutter.

"Time to get up. Cassian already went to fetch Nesta."

I let out a yawn. "She won't be awake this early."

"If she slept at all..."

I throw back the covers and pull on a warm dressing gown. Azriel slides out of bed, and I savor the sight of his bare back. Tendrils of shadow snake along the muscled planes of his body. Memories of last night cause heat to flood my cheeks. I push down the thoughts and pull a set of flying leathers from the wardrobe.

"What will we be doing today?"

"It's been awhile since you had your last lesson, so I figured we could go train."

"That's your 'business' then?"

"Of course. I have been busy with my courtly duties, and that has caused me to neglect my wife. It is my duty as a husband to ensure my wife feels loved and appreciated."