Chapter 23: Kidnapped

Start from the beginning

This didn't comfort Shizuo in any way. And it was only after he glanced at the bed, that he saw the infamous parka that Izaya always wore. Undoubtedly, his favourite article of clothing... if Izaya left willingly, why did he bother leaving behind his jacket?

Shizuo quietly shuffled over to the bed, and almost hesitantly reached out his hand to to examine the piece of clothing more closely. "It's the flea's jacket... I'm surprised he left it behind." The ex bartender muttered, more to himself than to Shinra, as a devastated frown made its way to his lips.

Just when all hope seemed lost, Celty ran in, her neck fuming with restless black smoke, as she hurriedly typed an urgent text. [Guys, I think I just found a clue! We didn't have this here before for sure, so this was left after Izaya's disappearance!]

Shizuo was grateful to say the least. Celty and Izaya had a rocky past. He hid her head from her, after all. And yet she was doing all this to help him out, simply because she believed that Izaya had earned forgiveness. Although she wasn't technically human, she sure acted like one.

In her other hand, she had the small piece of evidence. A flyer. And on it, there were a few words written in a language that Shizuo couldn't understand, but could certainly recognize thanks to the multiple subjects that school forced him to learn. It was in English.

It was certainly some type of poster about a circus, as the paper was a dark red, with a hand drawn circus to the side. The tent was grand, with a pole standing in the centre of the top, and various streamers at the edge of the pole. "Celty! You're just so smart and perfect at everything you do-" Shinra started, but only got a jab in the elbow from his true love.

[I'm going to try to translate it in Japanese.] She typed, the tips of her fingers slightly shivering from what Shizuo could only guess was excitement. And with that, the three of them left the room and went into the study, were there was Celty's laptop. With a press of a button, the screen greeted them, and the dullahan was furiously typing, probably determined to get an accurate translation as quickly as possible.

While Shinra helplessly admired his girlfriend, Shizuo's fist tightened around Izaya's jacket, which he had decided to keep close for the meantime. He wasn't sure why... it wasn't like it would help them find Izaya any sooner. But that didn't stop him from continously looking down at it. He could almost see Izaya taunting him, running away with the jacket fleeting behind him.

Shizuo was brought out of his thoughts by two fists banging on the table, in what seemed to be, her way of showing she was triumphant. On the laptop, there was written the translation- their only semblance of a clue was right infront of Shizuo.

~The Black Circus~

Come one, come all, to the mystery that is our travelling circus!

Were the wildest of beasts are tamed and reduced to acting like timid kittens,
And were trapeze artists perform tricks so elegantly, many decide they simply aren't human.
Perhaps you would prefer in having your fortune told?

We go all over, travelling by night- if you're lucky, we'll just so happen to be in your home town by morning!

Current location: England
Entrance fee: Unknown

~

"How is this a clue?" Shizuo asked angrily, after having read the text just once, and feeling his blood boil. It seemed like a shady circus to him, nothing more. On the other hand, Shinra's eyes widened, as if everything had just clicked.