Best Friend My Sweetheart

I still regret everything I said, but I cannot undo it now. 

Hana and I were best friends. I have known her all my life, as Hana and my mother were good friends. When I was allowed to receive visitors in the hospital, baby Hana and her mum came to visit me. We saw each every week until we started going to school, which is where we became even better friends. Hana and I did everything together, so everyone in our class called us Elise and Hana. We were like one person. 

We had exactly the same interests too. When we were around 10, everyone started talking about different hobbies, and we wanted to try something too. A friend of ours decided to go horse-riding and invited us. It was the worst experience of my life, but Hana seemed to enjoy it, so I felt like I would be a pushover if I gave up. It turned out that she also hated it, but she thought that if she stopped horse-riding, we wouldn't be best friends anymore.

Everything was perfect until Hana and I turned 13. I developed a crush on a cute guy (Jacob), but Hana started to look bored when I talked about how I was lost in my own world of love. 

One day, as I was describing how he had smiled at me, he came up to me... and asked me if I could be his girlfriend. I was amazed! Hana looked disappointed, but she supported me. I agreed, of course, not knowing that this would be the start of a terrible disaster. 

Hana got her own boyfriend, but they soon broke up. Jacob and I, though, were made for each other. We spent all day with each other... which meant that I saw less and less of Hana. Sometimes I even forgot about her for a whole day, which I regret a lot. It was like this for the next four years. But then he told me he was moving to another country. We were still going to be a couple though, and I knew that in only a year, he could move back because he would be 18. Then we could get married. 

Hana got it wrong though. She thought that we were over. A week later, she arranged to meet me at her house. I was shocked when she knelt down on one knee. Hana was proposing to me. She told me that she had realised that she was a lesbian 4 years ago when she had tried to date a boy. It was so wrong... but I said yes. It was then that she kissed me, so I had to tell her that I couldn't be friends with her anymore, let alone get married because my parents didn't like gay people... and neither did I. 

As I sit with my husband, Jacob, I realise it wasn't my fault... but that doesn't stop me feeling bad that I cut off all contact with Hana.