"You will find me," Draco whispered to her, optimistic yet serious.

Maria pulled slightly away to look at his face; the corners of his mouth were etching upwards. 

"I have a feeling Voldemort’ll be coming back here in the end."

The more he thought about it, the more he was sure of it. But Maria’s thoughts wandered elsewhere. She frowned, torn.

"I won’t be here next year," she said slowly. "I want to do my part, too."

Draco was also frowning, severely.

"Don’t be reckless, Maria," he scolded in a rough voice. "You can’t throw away your life. Your education, your safety-"

"It’s none of your business," she retaliated harshly, her eyes narrow.

"It is entirely my business," he said, much more softly this time, "because I only want what’s best for you."

She looked away in stubbornness, not wanting to meet his fervent gaze: it would break down her defences.

"Don’t," he pressed, leaning towards her, locking her in his strong hold.

She looked back into his eyes, and she was unable to turn away. Their silver intensity swallowed her whole.

"Please," he breathed, his faces inches away. "For me."

Maria’s heartbeats grew faster as he lowered his head to her neck.

"Promise me," he spoke, his lips against her skin.

Her breathing grew rough and uneven. Her mind didn’t grasp his words; it was far too preoccupied by his lips.

"Promise..." he murmured once more, now against her jaw.

"I..." she mumbled, her staggered thoughts a mess, "- I promise."

What did she just consent to? She couldn’t remember. All she knew was that Draco’s mouth was trailing along her jaw and neck and that his touch was feverishly hot, scorching. But all too soon, it stopped.

"You don’t have a clue about what I just said, do you?"

His tone was light, teasing. Her thoughts and heartbeats were still in a jumble.

"Mmmm?" was all she could say that was coherent.

He chuckled heartedly, cradling her face in his hands.

"You promised you would come back here next year," he clarified, searching her with a penetrating yet soft gaze, as though wanting to validate his statement.