MFS 11: Sweet Little Amy [English Version]

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Do you have any problems?" Mrs. Estrella asked gently. "I was hoping that you're going to make a happy and refreshing painting today but it was not. It was about sadness and fear." She gave Rose's canvas to me. "Sorry, but I cannot display this on our gallery for this year because our theme was about beauty and inspiration." And she went back in the faculty room.

I looked at Rose. She has no reaction but she lowered her head. Was she disappointed? I cannot tell what she really feels right now but if I were in her shoes I will be upset. I opened the cover of the painting canvas and was shocked.

"is it ugly?" Rose asked coldly. I know she noticed my reaction about her painting.

"N-no," I stammered. It's not ugly, it was beautiful indeed.

"Why are you stammering?" she looked at me directly to my eyes.

"I was just surprised about your painting. Ma'am has a point, it seems you've changed your theme in paintings," I explained. She has painted dried flowers and dark colors was used. In every petal of the flowers there were blood-like spots on it. Maam was right, it was a sad painting and if you'll look at a different perspective, it was scary.

"I think it's not wrong to change your taste from time to time," and she started to walk again. I remembered what Mrs. Estrella told us, "Oftentime, the produt of your art reflects your true feelings or explains what was happening inside you." What was really happening to Rose?

7:35 PM and we've reached the house. Michael and Agnes was cooking that time when we arrived. Rose went up to her room to change her clothes and I placed her painting on their music room. After a while, I went upstairs at the guest room to take a bath.

When I got out of the C.R. while wiping my hair, I glanced at the window. I could see a child walking alone on the road. It was already dark out there, why is it there's still a child walking alone this time? In this hour, people are not going outside their homes anymore. And suddenly I can no longer see the child in my window's view. Then, the door bell rang. A visitor? Who can it be?

When I went downstairs, I saw Rose at the door talking to someone.

"Come in," Rose said. And a little girl wearing a beautiful dress came in. She walked towards the couch and sat down. When she saw me, her sad face was lighted up by a smile. Rose saw me looking at the little girl, "She's Amy. She's my friend."

"Okay. Maybe you're the child I saw from my window a while ago. Don't you have any companion? It's already dark," I told Amy.

"I can handle myself," and she smiled at me. "Our house is not that far from here and I am already 6 years old, I'm a grown up already." Haha. Those were always the line of children today.

"William, can you leave us two alone? We'll talk for a while. And, just call us if the food was ready," Rose straightly said.

I nodded and headed to the kitchen. I helped Agnes in preparing the food on the table.

"Michael, where does that little girl live?" I asked.

"Hmm?" Michael looked at the direction where I was looking. "Ah, just two blocks away from here. It's her latest visit this time," and he continued cooking his Spicy chicken Curry.

"AH! She's so cute! I want a little sister like her!" Agnes squealed.

 "Why would a parent permit her 6-year old child to walk alone in this hour?" I was so curious. And Michael just gave me a shrug.

After 3 minutes in preparing the dinner, we have started eating. I could see that Rose was attending too much on Amy. Even though we say that Amy always smiles, I could still see traces of sadness on her eyes.

 After we finished eating, Rose asked me to come with her to bring Amy back to their home. She was carrying Amy and they were whispering to each other. Or maybe I was too paranoid. 

"I'll take care of you," I heard Rose's whispering words to the child. And Amy just hugged her.

 We stopped waling in front of a large brown house. There was a couple who came out after I pressed the dorrbell button. They opened the gate.

"My child! Amy! Where have you been?" the woman was so worried. And she came near to get her from Rose's grip. Rose gave her a menacing look.

"Haven't I told you not to go anywhere?" the father said. Amy was not talking and she seems to be afraid of her parents.

"Mr. and Mrs. Collin, please take care of your child," Rose told them in a threatening tone. Was there a conflict happening between them?

"We were taking much care of our child, you don't have the right to tell that to us as if we were not," Mr. Collin said.

"Ah, I am sorry if Rose's tone was harsh to you. We were just here to bring Amy back," I interrupted in order to avoid a potential war here.

And Amy went inside voluntarily. Before her parents follow her inside, they gave sharp threatening looks to Rose.

While we're walking back home, I cannot forget what Amy's parents did. Rose was just walking calmly as if nothing happened.

And I can no longer stop myself, "Rose, is there something I need to know?"

Rose stopped walking and faced me, "You know what? There are things that you'll just discover when the right time comes."

Those words marked in my mind until the time for me to sleep. It's been a while that I've been rolling on my bed. From the time we reached the house, Rose was no longer looking at me. I made a glass of milk for her but when I went to her room, she was fast asleep. Hay, Rose.... and I slowly closed my eyes and fell asleep.

 I could hear a sound of chains being pulled.

Iminulat ko ang aking mga mata at tiningnan ang oras, 2:10 AM. Nagising ako sa ingay na naririnig ko mula sa labas. Sumilip ako sa bintana at naaninag ko ang isang tao sa may kalsada. May hila-hila siyang malalaking kadena. Hindi pa man siya nakakalayo sa may bakod ng bahay na ito ay bigla siya tumigil maglakad. Unti-unti akong nagtago sa kurtina para hindi niya ako makita. Mula sa pwesto ko, nakita kong lumingon siya sa direksyon ng kwarto ko. At nakaramdam ako ng takot.

I opened my eyes and checked the time, 2:10AM. I was awaken by the noise I heared from the outside. I peeked at the window and saw a person on the road. He was pulling big chains. He's not yet far from the end of the fence of this house, he stopped walking. I slowly hid on behind the curtains. From my position, I saw him turned in my direction. And I felt scared. I back off from the window for a while and peeked again. And that person has disappeared.