Chapter 14: The Assassination and The Lone Witness

Start from the beginning

What the heck is going on with him?

"Oh," he snorted, folding his arms as he lobbed his head backward, "Oh, I see."

He continued to chortle, earning bits of concerned glances from his members, while Prince Tayden was evidently irritated at his unexpected outburst.

"You're a funny little prince. Do you think your father would approve of this? Ah, wait," he pretended to deliberate, "he doesn't know any of this, does he?"

I could see the prince's jaw tense, perhaps already gritting teeth. His irises turned darker than before, so dark that it gave me the impression of an eternal abyss. His fists were so firm that it began to quiver.

The man had apparently triggered a switch.

"Do you think they'd forgive you after what happened—"

Before the man could even finish his sentence, Prince Tayden punched him right at the center of his face and sent him falling against the smoking campfire.

He screeched in pain at the burning sensation tormenting the back of his head. His eyes started to water as if it was melting ice. Everyone took a step away due to immense shock. And maybe even fear.

I stood there, frozen. But I wasn't sure whether it was because of the violence Prince Tayden had committed, or because of what the man had said to him.

Do you think they'd forgive you after what happened? Those words repeated in my mind.

I decided to look up, just in time to witness the men quickly encircle him, lifting their swords, hammers, and axes to strike. He calmly stayed put, observing their every movement. Despite the situation, it was almost as if they were the prey and not him.

My pupils dilated once I saw him smirking, like this was just a game, like he was purely having his fun. My body trembled at the Prince Tayden upon my sight.

If this was the real side of the cruel prince, then who was the one that sang me a lullaby during that moonlit night? Who was the one that embraced me until I was comfortably asleep? Who was the one that had softened eyes whenever meeting mine?

The strange fact was that my peculiar heart wanted to accept this part of him. I am now terrified of my peculiar heart, terrified of why I am like this.

Rosette, you have to get used to this sort of scene. He is an assassin. This is his job. Just like you and your dirty spy work. Stop being a hypocrite.

With a profound determination and pursed lips, I forced myself to look up again—

Only to have a suit jacket bound to my head, covering the view in front of me.

"It's best if you don't see this." I heard someone say.

Deep, husky, and familiar. There was only one guy with a voice as crisp as this.

I removed the piece of clothing fixed onto me and found myself staring into Prince Agustus' sharp feline eyes.

"Stubborn as always..." he sighed, although it wasn't as bratty as he used to. It sounded more natural and composed, more like an easy roll of the tongue.

This wasn't a situation where we were free to bicker, so I refrained from retorting.

"Stay here. Don't make any unnecessary noise." He ordered, spoken like the authoritative prince that he was, before joining his brother under the spotlight of action.

These two? Fighting? Together?

I had the need to watch how this spectacle unfolds.

Third Person's POV