The corridor ended abruptly with massive doors. These had been salvaged from the old palace and had survived earthshakes and fire. No one knew where they'd originally come from. The metal they were composed of didn't rust, though it was pitted and scarred, as if it had been hacked at by blade or blasted by sand. Yet no tool in the Empire could damage them. Many had tried. Even Chowa had attempted to get a small sample of the grey metal to analyse it but failed.

The doors towered above Lanna, the unadorned metal gleaming with a dull sheen. She couldn't see her reflection in it and had to fight the urge to touch it with her gloved fingers.

The doors opened inwards and the Hall of Law spread before them. Lanna kept her head bowed. She had been to the treasury department but had never seen the great hall. She couldn't look up – she shouldn't be recognised. Not yet. This was for the benefit of palace theatre as well as security. Lanna had a part to play on a stage this day.

The shuffle of feet. People standing to listen. Lanna couldn't estimate how many. An official spoke. 'His illustrious self, keeper of the secrets, high marshal of the Imperial army. Admiral of the Imperial fleet, embodiment of Imperial virtues...'

Lanna ignored the droning voice and amused herself for the next few moments inventing her own titles for the boy Emperor.

'Shafter of older women, liar, ambitious child, lover of lemons, kafei addict...'

'His Highness wishes to address the hall.' The official, probably from the diplomatic department and therefore dressed in black, bowed and stepped back. Or at least, that was how Lanna pictured it.

The Emperor's voice rang across the hall, his normally subdued tones gone. He had been taught by the best how to speak before an assembly. For a moment Lanna could almost picture the man Ashioto would grow into, his voice strident, strong and brimming with command.

'I am pleased to address you,' he began. 'I have much to relate that is of importance.' As was typical of Ashioto, he launched straight into his announcements without preamble or the honorifics due to the heads of departments.

'Infrastructure has long held the opinion that we need to attend to our road network, some of which hasn't been renewed in eighty years. I have set aside a sum for the construction of a new road to link the first, second and third cities to the towns in the tens and twenties.'

Ceseed would be pleased; she had been asking for such. Lanna wondered what sexual trick she'd used to finally get the boy to fall into line. Or perhaps, more likely, he had intended to grant such all along but needed security to do so – security Lanna would provide.

There were hushed whispers from the hall. It wasn't an edict but still an Imperial command. The infrastructure department would be thrilled but would also have double its normal workload.

'My chief adviser of the flower hall, Orphony-no-Keja, has served me well. Though I now feel it is time to lift this burden from her, as she has carried it for long enough.'

Chowa made a small noise behind Lanna. The women's palace would be in chaos.

'Princess Itzander is a skilled diplomat. She will take position of First Concubine and aid me in strengthening relations with the Haven Islands, allowing us greater access to the spice trade. We will also aid her great nation with our naval power, so they may better protect their shipping routes from slavers and pirates.'

Lanna almost fell over. Itzander – poor, meek and willing to please Itzander – was to be First Concubine? And in return, her homeland granted extra protection. There was more to being First than Lanna had been aware of. What of...

'All other ranks within the palace shall remain as they are, save for two.'

Lanna's mind went blank and blind terror took over, causing her heart to stutter. A small hand pressed to her back – Chowa pushed her forward.

Scarred head hidden by hood and body hidden by cloak, Lanna tried to picture herself gliding towards the raised platform she knew was somewhere in front. She could see slippered feet in various colours either side of her.

Green – agriculture. Yellow – trade. Three pairs of white – health.

The distraction didn't comfort her, and soon she mounted the steps. She heard a murmur as she lifted her cloak a fraction to prevent herself tripping on her silks. A decorated hem must have shown. Lanna didn't look back – they would all soon know.

Chowa and her two slaves fell back, leaving Lanna standing to the Emperor's left. Ashioto stood on the raised stage, resplendent in purple, the Imperial colour worn by the officials that attended to his needs and that of the palace and First City.

He made a small gesture with his hand and Lanna turned to face the now restless hall.

She undid the ties of the cloak at her throat, and then, by some unseen cue, Epen stepped forward and pulled the black fabric from her with a flourish.

Lanna lifted her head. There were more faces than she could count. The hall was a riot of clashing colours against the background of white. Imperial, Southern and Haven Islands faces all fixed on her grey silk and the hood on her head.

Mutterings and stirrings rippled over the crowd, mainly among the older members. They knew what the colour represented.

'This is Li of the Southern clans,' the Emperor's voice rang out. 'She has served as assistant to the palace chemist. It has been discovered she has another talent. That of a seer.'

Before the murmurs could start again, he spoke on, his voice filling the space.

'She has agreed to make the sacrifice and has bound herself to my service. I present her to you now, so all may know. None but I touch her from this day. Her position is a sacred one, and she is in a state of grace.'

Lanna used Chowa's training to keep her face a meek mask. She wanted to turn and smack the boy. Her gloves now made sense, but the order did not. Why couldn't she be touched?

She hardened her heart. It didn't matter.

Ashioto turned and slipped his hand into hers.

'From now, you are Seer Li,' he announced and then did something that left her gaping at him. He bowed his head to her. A small fraction; a nod.

Chowa and the two men that had helped her orchestrate her grand scheme fell to their knees and prostrated themselves before Lanna.

The rest of the Hall of Law was quick to follow, hundreds of faces pressed to the floor. Lanna's took in the sight with wide eyes.

A breath moved against her cheek and his hand squeezed hers.

'Now they know you as mine,' Ashioto whispered. 'When you speak, they will hear me. From now on you say what I tell you to.'

There, before so many, she felt as if they were alone. None dared look up until ordered. He pressed the box containing the hook and ear jewel into her free hand.

'Give this to Chowa; she is to look after you, the health of the Hall of Flowers and the archive. Just as she always wished. Never forget she is in your debt. No more face paint and perfume for her workshop.'

Lanna nodded. There was nothing else to say. The Emperor of the last human civilisation leant closer, his lips almost touching her cheek.

'Together, we shall change everything, Lanna. Now, tell them to rise.' He leant back from her, his almost black eyes turning to those bowed before them.

'Arise,' Lanna said without even questioning what she was doing.

A trick in the design of the hall made her voice carry, and the officials and slaves stood, all eyes on her and the Emperor, standing hand in hand.

The first of his servants.

His most precious tool.

A sacred and precious possession.

Lanna was ready to carry the burden.

The presence brushed as weak as a frosted butterfly against her changed mind. It disagreed.