CHAPTER 26

After signing the necessary documentation, Mike had successfully completed a quantum leap from salaried employee to business owner. He entered the Royal York Hotel at seven that evening, planning to dine in style to celebrate his business coup. One of Toronto's finest hotels, the massive old building showed its age, but had managed to retain its elegant charm. He marched directly through the long lobby to the Imperial Room, which was one of his favorite dining establishments. Dinner reservations were normally required, but the maitre d'hôtel happily pocketed a twenty dollar tip and led Mike to the last available table for two.

Seconds later, a waiter approached. "Would you care to order something to drink, sir?" he asked.

"Crown Royal. Lots of rocks," Mike ordered, and then scanned the crowded room. The tables were covered with embroidered white linens and adorned with gold plated cutlery, occupied mostly by couples enjoying the ambiance, the food, and each other. The sight of all the happy couples quickly diminished his euphoria.

A second waiter stopped at Mike's table. "Excuse me, Mr. King. I have something for you," he said.

Mike turned quickly in surprise. In the waiter's right hand was a gold plated corkscrew, and over his forearm was a white linen napkin. A silver tasting cup hung from a chain around his neck. In his left hand was a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon that Mike recognized from the top shelf.

"There must be some mistake," Mike said, bewildered. "I didn't order that."

"No mistake sir." The waiter pointed to a table in the far corner of the room. "The couple at the corner table asked me to give this to you." Mike turned to look where the waiter had pointed. His pulse rocketed when his eyes found Karen, looking more beautiful than he could remember. Her flowing black hair barely reached the collar of her white silk blouse, and almost perfectly matched the color of her full length, black satin skirt. He resisted an impulse to race across the room and take her in his arms when he shifted his focus to the man at her table.

"Shall I open it, Mr. King?" the waiter asked.

"Please do," Mike said. He stood and walked unsteadily in the direction of Karen's table, his heart pounding harder with each step. He struggled with conflicting emotions when he arrived at the table. The love of his life was once again within his reach, but it was impossible to do what his heart demanded. He smiled and extended his trembling right hand to meet hers.

"What a wonderful surprise!" Karen said. She smiled radiantly and reached for Mike's hand, and then turned to her partner. "Mike, I would like you to meet my husband, Jim Servito. Jim, this is Mike King, an old friend of mine."

Disappointment shot through Mike's body like an electric shock. He released Karen's hand to shake the hand of Karen's husband, the man who had utterly destroyed his last hope. "Pleasure to meet you, Jim," he lied, forcing a smile to conceal his disappointment.

Servito frowned before he stood and accepted Mike's hand. "Nice to meet an old friend of Karen's," he said, unsmiling.

"How are you, Mike?" Karen asked.

"Just fine. I'm older, but a little wiser," Mike replied, trying to smile and appear cool. "How are you? Are you as happy as you look?"

Karen nodded, and then displayed a strained smile. "Where's your wife? I see you're alone tonight."

"Barbara and I were recently divorced."

Karen's smile disappeared. "Mike, I'm so sorry," she said, stunned and disappointed by the cruelty of fate. If only their timing had been different....

Mike resisted an almost overpowering urge to hold Karen's hand. "It was wonderful to see you again, Karen, and to meet your husband. I really should return to my table and allow you to have your dinner. Thank you both for the bottle of wine. It was very thoughtful. I promise I'll enjoy it."