17 | More Than a Feeling

Start from the beginning

"Jug, I need you to stay here while I grab something from the car."

"By myself?" Jughead doesn't want to be all alone.

"No," FP looks back. "Go stand with Betty and Polly. You all can cheer for your brother together until I come back."

"Okay."

FP makes sure he is around Alice before he excuses himself down the aisle to follow in Chic's direction.

"Where's your father going?" Alice asks the boy approaching her.

"To the car to grab something," Jughead answers.

Alice eyes FP as he disappears from the crowd.

FP watches as he finds Chic talking to no other than a Ghoulie, but he can't hear what they're arguing about.

"I don't want to," Chic shakes his head. "I need to lay low. You guys have had me risk so much already."

"Listen to me, dipshit. You don't tell us no. Your aunt gave you a job and you need to do as ordered."

"There's so many people here. I can't deal like this."

FP interrupts the second he sees the Ghoulie grab Chic by the collar. He shoves the Ghoulie away from Chic. Chic's eyes widen when he sees that it's FP.

"Get your ass back to the game. I need to have a word with you after. Go!"

Chic scurries back just in time for the halftime whistle.

Coach Kleats calls everyone on the team over. "Okay, boys! Good job out there! Get some water! We'll go over our next play in a minute!" The boys split and go to the waterboy.

"Kids, stay in your seats. I'll be right back." Alice orders for the three to remain put. The three young ones listen nod.

Alice sees the boy sprinting back from the parking lot as she steps off of the bleachers.

"Why were you running?" Charles questions Chic, but Chic doesn't answer.

More Ghoulies snuck up behind FP while he was distracted by the one arguing with Chic.

A pair of arms aggressively grab him from behind before a kick to the back of his knees cause him to drop to the floor.

"Hi, there your majesty." An old, familiar Ghoulie approaches him. FP twists around to no avail; he's held down by two bulky men.

"What the hell are you doing back in Riverdale? Ghoulies were exiled years ago."

"You interrupted business," Verne gestures for his crew to come over.

"Well it better not be happening here."

"I remember the last time I saw you. You were just some kid in high school and well look at you now. That damn kid of yours is in high school."

"Get out of my town, Verne." FP grits through his teeth.

"We're not leaving that easily." They crowd around him. He's held down to the floor, arms back and face pressed to the ground; he's in no position to be able to fight back. He feels a blow to his side and groans.

"No! Stop! Stop, please! Please leave him alone!" Alice screeches.

The Ghoulies turn to look at her. She wants to help FP and pull them off of him, but she is held back.

FP attempts to push himself up. He doesn't have enough strength to get up. He's knocked right back down. "Don't dare touch her!"

"Ah, the girl. I remember you." Verne smirks.

"Let me go," Alice twists and turns.

"Still feistier than ever."

"This isn't about her," FP demands they let her go.

"I'm just making conversation," Verne rolls his eyes. "Ain't that right, princess?" Alice looks away. "Tell your man to stop being so nosy. If he knew what's good for him, he'd stay out of my business." Verne reaches into FP's back pocket. He pulls out his wallet, grabs a few bills, and tosses it at Alice's feet. "Let's go, guys. We're done here." Verne pockets the money. Men back away from FP, letting him go. The pair of arms around Alice release her too. The Ghoulies all jump into their cars and zoom off.

FP pushes himself up. He then walks up to Alice as she holds up his wallet. He takes it and shoves it back into his pocket.

She brushes her fingers against the giant scrape on his forehead. "Why were they here? They could have seriously hurt you?"

"I'm fine."

Alice wraps her arms tightly around him. She's scared to think about what would have happened if she didn't come check on him. She's had a gut feeling for a while that something bad was going to happen and this incident wasn't helping subdue that worry.

"Let's go back," FP tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear. He leads the way. "Can we pretend like nothing happened?"

"I can't do that." Alice shakes her head. "I told you I was worried about you."

"Can we at least act normal for the rest of the game? I don't want to worry the kids."

"Should I be worried?"

"No. Not at all. Everything's fine."

"We're going to need to talk about this."

"Later."

"Okay," Alice is hesitant. She doesn't believe him.