How to Wrap Up The Change My Mind Project

The Change My Mind Project is comprised of an album with 12 original songs and a book, both of which I am working on simultaneously. As I edit or remix a song, I get inspired to write in the chapter about that song in the book. Together, they explain a journey I took and one anyone can take, from stress to rest. 

More than half the book is already written and 7 of the 12 songs are ready for mastering! Now it is time to get some discipline and wrap it up. I see the light at the end of the tunnel growing larger all the time as I write the book and remix the album! YAY!

But, because I am a nit picker and a procrastinator, I need a kick in the pants in order to get to the light quickly. I need structure and deadlines in order to get things done. Who doesn't?

So I gave myself a kickoff morning: I watched two very inspirational videos (mentioned here) and sat down and made a plan to go forward. It was time well invested. 

The top video:
I really liked the video, (featured above),  by Elephant because it sums up some great tips on finishing tracks, singles and albums. Let me just focus on some of the great things he mentioned.

Setting deadlines is VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

Secondly, don't use your eyes when you are almost done with a mix. Use your ears. I am going to listen in the beginning of my day, in the morning. Listen, (no peaking! at my DAW) write up what bothers me and then deal with those issue alone. Elephant writes them on paper, I use Wunderlist.  Doing this every day, rinse and repeat until I don't hear anything that rubs me the wrong way should help me get rid of crap that is left in the mix. The list is very small as of date...

What he doesn't take into account in his video is the fear of being a novice, the fear that if I release crap I'll never hear the end of it. Fear can keep you distracted distraught and make you nit pick to pieces. It does me. But now I am so sick of treading water and want to get done with this project and move on that I think the desire to be done erases my need for perfection. 

"Don't stare at the mountain in front of you just take the next step", I keep telling myself. The mountain is the release. Each step is a mixing session. 

Getting the book done
The Change My Mind book is also a "mountain" that needs to be tamed. The fear element is pretty much similar to the fear of releasing the album. What will ppl think? Will anyone read it at all once it is released?

So how do I get it (them) done. Here was an encouraging video that came in a timely manner and I mention it here to encourage you too!

Her tips:

Finish your book. That is where I am now.

- Don't rush writing. Make you book as good as possible before it drops. Take your time. Do your research. Make it awesome. 

- share it with some beta readers who know about that field. Get the criticism and tips before you publish!

- Get a professional editor it costs money but it is the most important. 

- Make the book sparkle Typesetting (Book Write is a program fonts margins arrangement important. page numbers front matter get good illustrations. Get an ISBN Give someone else the job of making the cover.

Finished PDF: print on demand is the best for most people that are starting out. 

A great article for novice book writers: