Impossible, Part 7

Steve hadn't let go of Michelle's hand since the arrows came flying down. He held it tightly and pulled her away from the missiles, ignoring the screams and shouting of men and women who were shot down.

'It's the Tengura!' they kept calling. 'The Tengura!'

Tengura...

The word echoed through Steve's mind as he led Michelle around a house, barely missing an arrow that slammed into a wall. That could have been his head. Or Michelle's.

A young woman, a milk maid probably, came dashing towards them, eyes flushed with fear and anger. She ran straight into Steve and Michelle, nearly knocking them over.

'Get out the way!' he shouted.

'They're coming,' was all she said.

There was a thud and she gasped, falling into Steve's arms. The long-haired teenager caught her, releasing Michelle's hand.

'Steve!' she cried.

The maid had a black arrow in her back. Her body went slack and Steve was so startled he felt her corpse slip from his hands. He didn't mean to, but he dropped her, his arms shaking slightly.

'Oh my god...' Michelle moaned.

Steve looked up, in the direction of the arrow.

There were riders coming. The Tengura, Steve assumed. Great bestial men with shaggy fur and frightening helmets. He couldn't decide what was worse, the frenzied laughing or the monstrous hounds they rode. Both master and mount were baying for blood.

Two riders came charging toward the pair, both of them drawing back their leather bows. Steve could see arrows notched on the strings.

'Back!' he hissed.

Steve shoved Michelle against the wall of the opposite cottage while he pressed against the wall of his own. Good timing too because a pair of arrows zipped past, flying in to whoever was poor enough to stand in their path.

'Don't move!'

Michelle wasn't listening. She was staring at the body of the dead milk maid. Steve tried to get her attention.

'Look out!' he cried.

She didn't respond.

The two riders came charging past, firing arrows at the pair. Steve ducked to avoid his dart. Michelle didn't move.

Thunk.

It hit the wall beside her, thank God.

But her face was screwing up with pain. Steve glanced down and saw the hounds had run the milk maid's body into the mud. Their heavy paws had stamped and mashed up her corpse so she looked like a bloody, dirty cadaver.

Steve had to turn away. It was too much.

Now the riders were gone, he rushed forwards to comfort Michelle. She recoiled at first, traumatised by the violence. God, this wasn't something she should be seeing. No one should.

'Michelle!' he cried. His hands found her face and he held her, making sure they had eye contact. 'Stay with me!'

Her eyes were brimming with tears yet after a few tense seconds of reassurance, Michelle nodded and they headed off again.

Farmers with pitchforks and mallets ran past them, shouting war cries as they defended their families. Steve pulled Michelle out of their path, ignoring the sounds of battle that were scarily close behind.

'Come on!' he cried.

The pair of them ground to a halt. A mounted warrior pulled up to them with his hound and the beast flurried, swiping them with its paws. Steve pushed Michelle away and he poked the beast with his bamboo. The beast snapped at his spear, unfazed by its sharpened point. The rider was trying to fight him too, swinging its sword at the tall teenager.

Frantically he glanced about him for refuge. Not for him of course, but for Michelle, who was still shaken and disturbed by the carnage taking place. Steve spotted a cottage with an open door.

'Get inside!' he spat.

Thankfully she didn't blank out or resist his plea. Michelle turned tail and sprinted towards the cottage, shielding her head as more arrows flew past.

The hound suddenly latched on to the bamboo, grabbing the end with its mighty jaws. Steve frowned, grasped his spear tightly, and charged forwards, shoving the weapon as far into the beast's head as he could.

It whined and collapsed in agony. A minor victory though as its disgruntled rider swiftly dismounted and swung his blade at Steve, forcing him to retreat.

The warrior chased Steve towards Michelle's cottage. She stood there, waiting for him, torn between shutting the door or helping him. Her face was white with fear.

'Steve!' she cried.

'Shut the door!' he called.

The warrior swung down and he darted aside, choosing now to counter. The long-haired teenager leapt into the Tengura's flank, tackling him into the cottage's wall.

A loud slam told Steve that Michelle had locked him out. Well, at least she was safe now. But what about him?

The warrior grabbed Steve by the neck sand attempted to gut him but the boy grabbed the blade, wrestling control of the weapon. Together they rolled along the wall, grunting and groaning to gain the upper hand.

Steve was so focused on grappling the rider that he didn't notice a second warrior charging to the cottage. But instead of joining his comrade in skewering the teenager, he launched himself through a window into the home.

Right where Michelle was.

'No!' Steve screamed.

He tried to escape his warrior's grip but his Tengura opponent wouldn't relinquish his victim. Now the rider threw Steve against the locked door and then bought his blade to the boy's neck.

The warrior put his full weight into the weapon, forcing it closer to the boy's throat as Steve tried to keep it at bay. He grimaced and whined under the pressure, turning his face away from the snarling man who leaned forwards to whisper horrors in his ear.

'We'll take turns with her...' he hissed.

Steve trembled with fear.

Michelle...

No...