Someone committing a crime

It is late in the evening. Crickets can be heard from outside. A college student, named Vanessa, find this slightly irritating since she was inside the library. Not for the first and probably not the last, she wonders who build a library with poor sound proofing materials that you hear everything from the outside world even with the windows closed. No matter, Vanessa had an essay to write for tomorrow's literature class and refocused to one of the many books in front of her.

Despite research and preparing ahead of time, she wonder if it was a wise idea to write an essay to see which religious status a book character belongs in: paganism, wicca, or atheism. It does not help that the small college library did not have the right materials and it took days to transfer a book from another college as a loan. Also the global internet was no help either. Too many different subcategories even in paganism, wicca, and atheism. Not wanting to leave a stone unturned, Vanessa tried to find and read everything about the subjects. The essay was three quarters done when a commotion disrupted her concentration.

She looks over to see a person has dropped some DVD and CD disks. Their olive skin colored hands frankly moving in their quest to pick up the disks. Stealing has been an issue to the small library and no one knew who was committing it. Before Vanessa could get a better look and report it, a loud voice ordering the person to freeze and stop what they are doing. Instead of obeying the order from the small college cop, the revealed young fit man with blond hair ran out the door with a few discs he had. Since not much crime happens on the campus, the college cops were out of shape and some of them were extremely overweight. Vanessa knew the man would get away but cannot hide for long due to the cameras at the library's doors.

She want back to her essay, not knowing that she will in a small way commit a small crime herself. The result will end in her, facing the honor code council, the college president, and having a failed course. This will make her needing to go about her college to start fresh. Her crime: unknowingly send a plagiarist paper. All thanks her computer system failing on her at the worst possible moment and saving the wrong document.