Delaware Urban Legends

Delaware may be a small state, but it's got more than its fair share of unsettling tales and urban legends. The first official state, Delaware's long and rich history leaves it a likely location for hauntings. Almost every element of Delaware is haunted: its bridges, its rivers, its old Victorian houses. It's a wonder that Delaware citizens can even get around!

Ghost stories from Delaware often involve the state's connection to United States history. You may experience Civil War-era ghosts or ghosts from the early days of the country. There are also those creepy Delaware tales that are your run-of-the-mill urban legends, such as haunted bridges and phantom lighthouses. If you're planning to give the state a visit, or just want a good scare, you've come to the right place. Check out these Delaware urban legends below!

 Check out these Delaware urban legends below!

Corpse Light

Cape Henlopen State Park is said to be the origin of the Corpse Light, a mysterious phantom light with no discernible source. There is no lighthouse at Cape Henlopen, yet people often see lights flashing from the location. The light was allegedly a curse from a local Native American tribe. After British soldiers stormed a wedding ceremony and massacred many guests, the tribe conjured up the light as a means to lure ships to doom.

The Corpse Light actually has fulfilled its promised historically. It sunk a ship known as the Devonshireman on Christmas Day 1665. The ship, following the beams from the nonexistent lighthouse, crashed into a shaft of stone instead. More than 200 men died in the wreck. Some say the ghost ship periodically reappears to reenact the famous crash.

 Some say the ghost ship periodically reappears to reenact the famous crash

The Ghosts Of Fort Delaware

During the Civil War, Fort Delaware, found on the Delaware River's Pea Patch Island, was originally a prison for Civil War soldiers, notorious for its atrocious conditions. Prisoners were housed in wooden barracks and given only small food rations, as well as dirty water. Sometimes, rats were even thrown into the crowd, which starving prisoners devoured in desperation. About 2,700 men died in the prison and - unsurprisingly - their spirits are rumored to remain on Fort Delaware's grounds.

The fort offers tours for those interested in its rich history and guests often report paranormal experiences. People have felt an eerie presence and also heard ghosts of prisoners poking around making noise throughout the fort's walls.