Chapter Twenty-Nine: Waiting For A Girl Like You

Start from the beginning

Once Kaity was inside she looks around and spots her friends in a booth. She walks towards them and the two people that were facing her direction spot her and quickly slide out the booth. "There she is!" Page shouts, wrapping her arms around Kaity. Kaity hugs her friend tightly, a smile on her face. Once Page lets go of her Robin was the next person to hug her. "Glad you could make it." She and Page sit back down together then Kaity turns to the last person, smiling. "Hey," Steve says softly, a smile on his face. "Hey there, Harrington." The two embrace each other in a tight hug then Steve slide back into his spot and Kaity sits next to him.

"I ordered you blueberry pancakes, I hope that's okay." Steve informs her and she nods. "You know me so well, Harrington." He shrugs. "I wonder why...it's not like we've know each other half of our lives." Kaity rolls her eyes playfully then her eyes falls on Page's and Robin's conjoint hands that were resting on top of the table. She smiles softly at the interaction. Page and Robin have been happily dating for two months now and they were both the happiest people on the Earth. "Have you had any contractions yet?" Steve asked with a raised brow and before she could answer a waitress sets a plate of blueberry pancakes in front of Kaity along with a cup of milk. Kaity thanks the women and watches her as she walks away. She was maybe in her thirties, she was tall and blonde. Not Harriet.

"She would be at the hospital if she was having contractions, dingus." Robin heckles Steve, causing Kaity to snap out of her thoughts. "Yeah but isn't there like times when you can have fake ones?" He asked, genuinely curious. Kaity takes a bite out of her pancakes, watching her friends. "I know the name hold on..." He holds his hands out, snapping as he tried to think of the name and all three girls watched him, amused. "Branston Hicks." Kaity blinks at him a bit surprised at how close he got. "Braxton Hicks." Page corrects him. "But you were really close." Kaity smiles, patting his back and he smiles proudly. "You've been doing your research huh?" Page asks and he shrugs. "I wanted to know some things just in case I was around when the little guy decided to come out." Kaity smiles fondly at her best friend.

"Are you guys ready for your interviews?" Page asked as she sipped her coffee, glancing between Steve and her girlfriend. The two were both jobless due to the mall being closed down and they decided to go to the Family Video store  "Yeah, but we have to deal with stinky Keith." Kaity wrinkled her nose and Page shuttered. "The dudes a total creep." Kaity mumbles as she plops a huge bite of pancakes in her mouth. "Totally," Page agrees. The four finish their breakfast and conversations, leaving the diner.

"I'll walk you to your car." Steve says to Kaity then turns to the couple that was walking towards Steve's maroon BMW hand and hand. "Hey!" Robin and Page turn around and he tosses his keys towards them and Robin catches them with her free hand. Steve and Kaity walk to her car in a comfortable silence and Kaity pulls her keys from her purse. "It looks awesome." Steve says, casing her to smile as she too looked at the Camero. Steve has been around when the repairs were done and Kaity did most of the work on it herself. He assumed because she really needed something to take her mind off of everything that happened. Something to keep her busy. The California license plate was replaced by a Hawkins one. The blue California license plate was actually on her wall back home.

"You doing okay?" Steve asks Kaity as she leans against the side of the hood. He stands in front of her, his arms crossed as he watched her. "I'm...I'm trying to be." She looks at her friend. "It's not easy. It's really weird not having him around." Steve nods in understanding. "But, I'm trying." Her hand absentmindedly moves to the Saint Christopher necklace that was around her neck. "Billy would be proud of you." Steve's kind words made tears well in her eyes and she nods, not trusting herself to speak. She didn't want to cry. Steve moves forward and hugged her in a tight embrace, squeezing her to his chest and she wraps her arms around his waist. "Keep your head up, kid." Steve says as he pulls away from her, poking her cheek causing her to smile. "Good luck at your job interview." She moves and opens her door and and he nods. Kaity takes a seat and Steve shuts her door for her once she's inside. Kaity strapped herself in and starts the car. She waves out her window at Steve who still stood close and he wave back as she began to pull out her parking space. Steve watched the blue Camero leave the parking lot, his hands stuffed in his front pockets of his blue jeans.