13~Melancholic Memories

Start from the beginning

I pondered on my thoughts before entering the school campus.

The day went by fast as I bid my farewell to the Detective Boys and walked with Haibara to Professor Agasa's house.

" Is your magician friend gonna visit you again tonight?" Haibara asked with her usual serious expression.

I gazed at her and sighed.

" Probably not today." I replied wearily.

" Did you guys fight?"

" W-wai-what, no." I replied defensively.

She looked at me with a raised eyebrow and crossed her arms.

" Well, whatever happened between you two, just be sure to resolve it before the next heist."

And with that, she left me standing on the front gate on my own.
I proceeded to go to my home and rest on the couch as I looked at the ceiling.

( Kaito, what's wrong?)

~ Kaito's POV~
I rushed to Shinichi's place before I stopped and looked at the sky.

( I hope he's here.)

I sneaked through the window and saw Conan resting on the couch.

" Thank God, you're still awake." I said while panting.

" Thank God, you even visited me tonight." He said with annoyance.

" W-what? Why would you think that I woudn't visit you tonight?" I asked the annoyed detective.

He lowered his head as he gestured me to sit on the couch.
I sat beside him as I wondered why he was annoyed by me.

" Did I do something wrong?" Conan asked abruptly.

" W-what no, not at all..."

" Then, why did you have a pissed off expression on your face when you were taking me to school? Why didn't you respond to my question?"
" You were silent the whole time....S-so I thought there was something wrong..." He continued as he looked at me apologetically.

I bit my lip as I inwardly cursed to myself.

( Damn it Kaito, why didn't you explain anything to him....now he thinks that it's his fault that I was angry...)

" I'm ......sorry, I didn't explain anything to you....It isn't your fault." I said in a low voice.

He looked at me and lifted my face up as our eyes meet.

" It's ok, you don't have to feel bad about it...I understand. You don't have to tell me....just tell me about it when you are ready to talk about it, ok?"

He comforted me with a gentle smile as he let go of his hands from my face.
My heart skipped a beat with the kind words he expressed...I felt relieved..yet sad as I remembered why I was silent the whole time when I was carrying Conan to school.

( He was a kind man...He always carried me when I was little..He was my role model....Father..why did you have to leave....)

" Hey...I'm gonna go somewhere, can you wait here for a while..?" Conan asked softly while still looking at me with a concerned expression on his face.

I simply nodded as he quickly went out of the library room, with me all alone.
I looked at the window then looked back at the towering bookshelves that this library had.

I coudn't help but sit at the couch quietly before I noticed that one of the buttons of my vest is loose and was surprised when it was the same favorite button that my dad had made just for me so we could have matching costumes when we can perform together....but that time never came..........

I felt tears suddenly falling from my eyes, I coudn't help but cry.
I silently sobbed as I tried to hold back the tears but I eventually gave up.

I cried my sadness away until I felt sturdy yet comforting arms wrapping around me, holding me in a tight embrace.

I looked up not to see Conan but Shinichi in his normal body, smiling softly as he tried to comfort me.

"There there, everythings going to be alright...Remember that I'm always here for you no matter what." He said as he firmly held me in his arms.

I gazed upon him and smiled as I hugged him back.

" Do you promise?"

" I promise."

I felt calm and relieved as we both hugged each other...comforting one another with each other's warmth.

" Hey, can we......stay like this....for now...?"

" Of course."

And with that, we slowly drifted to sleep.