Prologue

Year: 2025 (The Future)

As the morning creeps through the binds, it awakens the house of a new day. Caitlin groans, as the blinding light forces her to wake up before her alarm. Out of habit, she looks over her shoulder and sighs, seeing the empty spot next to her. She turns to face it, imagining the man that is supposed to be there but hasn't been for over six months.

"I miss you, Barry," she whispers with sadness.

As her alarm finally blares throughout the room, she pulls back the covers to get ready for the day. She throws on a pair of skinny jeans with a simple dark top that matches her boots. Satisfied, she walks down the hall to a closed-door - opening it slowly. She smiles, leaning against the door frame, watching a little girl soundly sleeping in her bed. The moment is so precious and rare, she doesn't want to ruin it. However, they have a long day ahead of them. Walking in, she settles on the edge of the bed, nudging the little girl to wake up.

"Val, baby, you have to get up. You don't want to keep Nora waiting, do you?" she coos.

The little girl groans, pulling the cover tighter as she buries herself deeper into the mattress. "Five more minutes, mommy, please," her small voice begs.

Caitlin lets out a small laugh, running her fingers through her daughter's loose curls. "Val, come on, sweetie. They will be here soon, and you are not going in your pj's," she reprimands with a soft scowl.

Val huffs, turning to face her mom to look her in the eyes. Caitlin's face softens, seeing the sadness in her daughter's eyes, and listens to the message Valerie sends.

"Val, I understand, but what did I tell you about using your powers? It's not safe for you," Caitlin stresses, pushing some hair out of the little girl's face.

She sighs, nodding her head. "I know, but I'm wearing the necklace Uncle Cisco made me. Besides, I'm only using a part of my powers, not all of it," Valerie adds with a whine.

Caitlin admires her now six-year-old daughter then looks to the necklace she is all but familiar with when it came to suppressing her abilities - so many years ago. Now, her daughter has to wear it to control her set of powers, which continues to grow stronger with each passing day. It's become even harder to control with Barry out of the picture - after his disappearance.

She sighs slightly, giving in. "Okay, just be careful. Don't overdo it."

"I won't. I promise," Val smiles to convince her mother to stop worrying about her.

At six years old, Valerie is considered one of the smartest and most powerful metahumans in the multiverse. Her unique meta DNA is one part, but it is mainly because of the powers she possesses. Unlike her half-sister Nora, Val is the product of two metas. Because of this, it was learned that her abilities could come about in one of three ways - gaining both of her parents' powers, no abilities at all, or receiving a completely different strand of meta DNA, aka a different set of meta powers.

With her parents' powers being opposites of each other, it became a relief - for her parents - that she didn't inherit their abilities. However, finding out about her new meta abilities - the gift of the mind - did cause uneasiness for them. Except for Cisco, who fangirls about the similarities with a comic book character by the name of 'Jean Grey' but with a twist. Her mastery of mind comes with the Speed Force still running through her veins - to which it communicates with her from time to time.

Aside from that, Valerie is just good at reading people - most notably her mother. She notices that her mom worries about her, just like how her mom would worry about her father - it's only natural for Caitlin. With that in mind, Val sits up in bed and pulls her mother in for a hug.