Or maybe he wouldn't have gotten him something for his birthday—maybe it's too soon for that—but he would've at least wished him a happy birthday when they stood outside in the morning or sat together on the bus.

"I didn't think it mattered, sheesh," Braxton laughed, "it's not like I'm doing anything for my birthday, so what's the big deal?"

"Why aren't you doing anything for your birthday?"

"Feels weird to have a party. I've made a few friends in the time that I've been here, but I just feel like I don't have enough for a party party. Feels kind of lame just inviting a few people over, you know?" Braxton admitted, "but, you know, if you want to swing by for like an hour or so tonight, you're welcomed to. I mean, my family got a birthday cake and we'll probably do a corny little celebration."

"Yeah, I'll come over."

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Braxton, happy birthday to you," Olivia, Benjamin, and Scar shamelessly belted out the lyrics during lunchtime, seemingly unbothered by all of the people staring at the loud bunch of friends. Braxton rolled his eyes a little bit, but ultimately he couldn't hold back the smile that was on his face.

"Thanks, guys," Braxton let out a small sigh as he grinned, "so, who's trying to give me a birthday kiss?"

Braxton was rarely ever actually serious when he made little cocky jokes like that. Ben was preparing to fire back with something like shut up Braxton, or maybe something more like, I don't think that anyone here is trying to kiss you, when something extremely peculiar occurred—something that filled Benjamin with an incredibly weird feeling: Olivia, who had been sitting right beside Braxton, kissed him right on the cheek and laughed, saying, "Mwah! There you go, birthday bitch."

Benjamin had been sitting next to Scar and right across from Olivia and Braxton, so, he had the best seat in the house to view whatever the fuck that was. He knew that it was supposed to be a joke. He knew that. However, his body didn't seem to be as aware of what a "joke" was as it tensed up. This was a new feeling for Ben. Irrational jealousy, perhaps, would be a good name for the feeling.

All he knew was that he felt really weird about it. That wasn't even the way that Olivia normally acted with them, so what if that truly was her way of trying to flirt?

Braxton touched his shoe to Ben's shoe, almost as if to catch his attention. Ben hadn't realized it, but he had spaced out just a little bit at that moment—to the point where he wasn't even sure what was going on in the conversation anymore. All he knew was that he was absolutely raging, with a hint of sadness.

Ben met eyes with Braxton, and when he did, he saw pure emotion in Braxton's eyes. He looked at him so softly, as if trying to calm him.

Had it been apparent that Benjamin cared about the interaction that just unfolded? He didn't want to seem as though he cared, because why should it even matter to him? It was a joke, and they weren't even that serious yet. Even though they were now official, Benjamin didn't consider their relationship to be so serious that he would find himself getting jealous.

"Ben, you look like you've seen a ghost, are you ok?" Olivia questioned.

"Fine," Ben muttered, not meaning for it to come out as pissy as it did, "wait, that came out wrong. I just meant—no, nothing, I'm just... I'm good,"

Ben couldn't say with a straight face that he was good because, in all honesty, he wasn't all that happy. It wasn't the end of the world that she did that, but he would be lying if he said that it didn't upset him. She knew that she most likely didn't mean anything by it, but what if her—or another girl like her—did mean something by it? How the hell was Ben supposed to compete like that?