Chapter 1

The moment I saw the two men come out of the forest and climb down the valley, I knew they were the guerrillas we had already heard so much about. Dressed in denims and with guns slung over their shoulders, they marched briskly, side by side, their roving eyes sweeping the terrain.

My cattle stopped grazing to watch the approaching strangers. I stood dumbfounded, aware of my tattered shorts and cracked herd boy's feet, clutching my useless, long whip. But I was not afraid, somehow. I had heard too much about the war to be afraid. Everyone in our village knew that the fierce war of liberation raging throughout the country would one day spill over the borders of our village.

The man in front was fairly tall, slum and athletic, with piercing brown eyes that had a stilling effect on people he looked at. He had a determinrd face scarred by twenty one years of hardship in a cruel country. His arms were boldly tattooed with the figures of an axe and a hoe.

The other man was darker, more sturdily built and hardened in his own quiet way.The leader, whom I made out in instantly to be the commander, addressed me. I cannot remember what exactly he said to me for I was nervous, my heart leaping to my throat.

'What's your name?'
'Hondo Tapera,' I replied as calmly as I could.
'Who gave you such a name?'
'My father, I think.'
'Did he know you would be a child of war?'
'I don't know.....my mother had a hard time giving birth to me. . . . .'
"Do you know who we are?'
I hesistated.

We heard from rumors breathing through the country that it was sometimes unwise to show guerrillas that you knew who they were. It was far better to feign ignorance, people said. 'I'm not sure. . . . . . . .' I faltered, much to the commander's satisfaction.

"Have you heard of guerrillas, Hondo?'
A little bit'
'And you thought guerrillas were wild animals, didn't you? Wild animals which walked on four feet on moonlit nights and ate people. That's what yours teachers taught you and what the radios and newspapers said, isn't it?'

My eyes fell on the shining muzzles of their guns and their faded canvas shoes. I didn't know what to say. ' We are the guerrillas, Hondo,' he laughed wrily. 'Now you see we are not the wild animals they told you we were. We are human beings just like you, your brothers in fact. How old are you?'
'Thirteen.'

'Are you still at school?'
'I'm in grade seven. We are having our holidays.'
'You'll just have to pray the soldiers don't close your school before the end of the year. Do you know why we are here, Hondo?'
'To free the country'

Are you happy, Hondo?'
My father had died. I lived with mother in our small homestead. I went to the village school three kilometers away. When I came back from school I helped mother, fetching firewood and water and washing up after supper.

And during the holidays, like this, I spent the days looking after our small herd of cattle. My mother was good to me; we had a few relatives; I had my friends. We were poor, but happy. I was not sure that was what the commander wanted to hear.

Then I remembered Farmer Taylor, yes, the cruel farmer whose farm boarded our village.

'Are you happy about this farm?'
'No'
'We shall remove him. Have you seen any soldiers around here?'
'No'

'Any army trucks or helicopters?'
'No. Only one helicopter flew over the village once'
'When?'
'Just after the rains. In April, I think.'
'And you didn't see any more helicopters after that?'
'No'

Have the guerrillas ever come to your village before?'
'No'
'You're sure?'
'Yes'
'Can you recognize soldiers and their trucks and planes if you see them?'
'Yes'

'And can you keep secrets? You won't tell anyone that you saw us, and I'd you see soldiers you will count them and report their movements to us. Do you understand?'
'Yes'

'You will gaze your cattle in this part of the valley every day. Now show us the way to the village headman's compound.

I pointed out old Headman Zijena's huts, just visible up on the slope, through the trees. Without another word they turned and went back up the slips in the direction I had indicated.

The muzzles of their guns glinted in the sun behind them. Thoroughly apprehensive now, I stood speechlessly, watching them until the blue of their denims melted into the green foliage.

I started rounding up my cattle, though it was still hours from sunset.
It was the only thing I could do to set my nerves at rest.

Hello everyone, the first chapter is out. Kindly vote and comment as you tell me what you think of the chapter. Will Hondo inform his mother or his friends about the guerrillas, what do you think? Talk to me in the comment section..
Thank you!