Aakash, Khushi knew was Arnav's cousin brother and was managing a chain of hotels under the Raizada group of industries. Khushi had never met him but seen his photo once when Payal had shown her. She had thought he looked soft, handsome and exuded a quiet self-assurance that was really attractive even through the photo.

And no one could love Payal the way he did, from what she was hearing. And Payal was equally in love with him.

I wish I could fall in love too.

Even as that thought crossed her mind, the image of Arnav flashed through her mind sending a bolt through her.

"What about you?" Payal started asking but her cellphone rang just then.

"Hello...No. Of course I didn't forget... Yes... I'm ready and waiting for you... ok I'm coming downstairs..."

Khushi listened to one side of the conversation and surmised Aakash was here to pick her up.

"Khushi, I'll see you tomorrow, ok? I have to get home and then get ready for the party. Are you sure you don't want to come? I assure you no one will mind."

"No, Payal. It would really be awkward. No one would even know me nor I would know them. I'm fine. You go ahead."

The Raizadas were celebrating the second birthday of Ahaan, Arnav's nephew.

A new wave of loneliness swept her up as Payal said her bye and left. Growing up as an only child and with a mother like hers had not been easy. Her consolation was her father. She was slightly envious of Payal and Arnav for having such loving families.

She sighed and went back to finishing her lunch and returning to work.

•••

Arnav stepped off his car onto the crowded parking of the Raizada residence. He strode up the steps, aware that he probably was late in arriving and his tardiness would have been noted already. He entered the room and the atmosphere in the room was laden with shrill sounds of children laughing, playing and crying and parents trying their best to manage.

Parenthood was a royal pain. But being a uncle wasn't. Then he saw his nephew standing near his parents and called out to him.

"Ahaan!"

At Arnav's call, Ahaan broke into a wide mouthed smile and before anyone could stop him, was racing towards his mama who swept him up into his arms and placed a kiss on his cheek. If there was someone who held Arnav's heart in his hands, it was this little wonder who had captivated him with his eyes two years back on the same day.

He was also a splitting image of his sister who in turn looked like his mother.

"Look who's a big boy, already!" Arnav told him shifting him to his left arm and walking towards his parents who waited near the huge cake. A big fan of the series 'Cars', Ahaan's birthday cake was designed based on the movie. A ride on 'lightning McQueen' was his birthday gift from his mama which he had arranged to be delivered home early in the morning, along with a lot of other stuff, of course.

As they reached within a few feet of Anjali, Ahaan wriggled to get down reaching to go to his mother. "Once the gifts have been given, you leave me immediately?" Arnav asked, his tone mock hurt.

"Stop bribing my son. And aise hi you remain absent from his life and you'll never know when he grows up. By the way, thanks for coming, Mr. Raizada." Anjali said not really looking at Arnav.

Arnav turned a questioning eye to his jijaji who only signaled to him to let it be and not answer.

Shyam Manohar Jha, his jijaji, was a corporate lawyer and owned his own law firm. Anjali had been a lawyer with the firm when they had met and fallen in love. They were married five years now. Once she got pregnant, Anjali had decided then and there that all her time would go to her child once it was born and she had become a house wife.