That Sassy Korean Girl © By Alex J. Tan

Prologue

Life is full of surprises. Everyone who says otherwise doesn't know the true meaning of it. And usually, it's an interesting take compared to what 'normal' people would go through on a daily basis.
Take Jay for example. He's not the kind of guy that sees the world the same way as other people do. No, he doesn't.
Instead, his life has been flipped upside down the moment an unexpected guest from South East Asia decided to crash for a few nights in his apartment. Better yet, for months.

But nothing was clearly more annoying than the way she always calls him. A different way that often makes him cringe at times. No, all the time.
"Oppa!" The girl called out with a wide grin across her face. Clearly, Jay doesn't know what he has gotten himself into. 

Chapter 1: From fantasy, to reality.

South Korea, Busan, the second largest city after Seoul. It houses one of the many attraction sites such as beaches, mountains and temples. Of the many attractions there, the Busan International Film Festivals was one that was not to be missed during the awards ceremony, where all of the celebrities would be in attendance to receive the prestigious award for the best performance throughout the year.

In the entertainment world, there are no short supplies for shows that are always on air. Dramas, movies, music videos, variety shows, and more. But what are the keys to winning the audience's heart? Ratings. The higher the ratings, the more well known you are to the people around you.
Majority of the celebrities were able to acquire multiple skill sets to act in different platform shows.

And among the big name celebrities, Ha Se-Yi was one of the few prominent uprising stars that was currently in the ranks of reaching Superstardom. But at the cost of being a famous celebrity, she was often cited as a cold and spoiled person.
While a great number of substantial fans adored her with undivided love, there are also a few who deemed her as a ruthless person who couldn't really care other than herself. Se-Yi simply brushed off those rumors by simply displaying what she does best, and that was ignorance towards the media. By not knowing what the media was displaying, or voluntarily chooses to ignore what she sees, she couldn't care less about what others had to say about her.

The Korean lass sat among the crowds of celebrities, awaiting for the award that she was being nominated for. She showcased her dull expression throughout the ceremony, just watching the performance of the band while awaiting for nomination awards to begin.
While everyone was cheering on with the live-performance that was going well, Se-Yi just sat there, bored to death while fiddling with her phone.
By the time the host came up on stage, the girl had already kept her phone away, just waiting for them to finally announce the nomination awards. The much awaited moment that she was waiting impatiently!

"<And the winner for the Best Young Actress goes to: Ha Se-Yi!>" The announcer read the cue card, calling out the winner while speaking in the local Korean language.
Se-Yi got up from her seat, changing her straight expression with a wide grin across her face as she had already expected to receive the award for her performance in a movie that she had starred in. While walking up on stage, practically everyone in the entire ballroom was cheering on for her. Although she could hear a number of 'boos' surfacing around the room, she had already pretended that she didn't hear them.

Se-Yi's petite body shape, and alluring smile easily attracted those around her. Not to mention that she had the face of a young girl that many would mistake her for a school girl. Her porcelain skin that is flawless that makes her on-par with beautiful Idols of the past. And her long straight black hair that covered her shoulders, she was the ideal type of what most guys would have dreamt of as a potential girlfriend.

At the same time, many would often compare Se-Yi's looks and charms to the likes of Im Yoon-ah of Girl's Generation, or Lee Ji-eun as IU due to their natural beauty and youthful appearance. But the lass doesn't think so, often stating that she doesn't even look similar to them.
Other than the obvious similarities in their doe-like eyes, wide grin and often at times, the personality that was awfully a lot similar; Se-Yi was ultimately convinced that she does not look anything like that. But she was thankful for the compliments.

"Gamsahamnida!" The first word that came out from Se-Yi's lips as she gratefully accepted her award from the Emcee that was hosting for the evening.
"<It's really an honor to actually receive such a prestigious award. I really want to thank friends and fans for their never ending support! I'll be sure to do my best in future films and shows!> Fighting!" Se-Yi raised her fist and shouted positively while beaming with a smile. It was a rare sight to see her smile as half the time, she was either frowning or brooding over at the set.
A vast majority of the fans roared loudly and excitedly upon hearing that. She was the face of the future industry in acting. Many people across the globe knew that her acting in dramas and movies were exceptionally splendid.
With that, her fans were quick to assume that she was leading a good life. A promising future that would plaster her with all of the legends above. But Se-Yi didn't think so. Behind every mask they say, there is always the painful truth.

"<It's so tiring.>" Se-Yi moaned tiredly towards her close friend, In-Na as they both entered her exclusive suite after the ceremony. Just returning from her flight about an hour ago, it left Se-Yi's body in agonizing pain.
"<Why do you say so, Se-Yi?>" Her friend asked curiously, keeping her shoes inside the cupboard that was directly next to the door.

The owner of the house immediately activated the high-tech heater that began to warm up the entire living room that was freezing cold.
Se-Yi's suite was one of a kind. Situated at the heart of Seoul, she could see the gorgeous sight of the city view at night. Other than that, her suite was lavishly expensive.
A large black and white portrait of Se-Yi was hanging near the hallway. The portrait displayed her sitting down on an armchair, crossing her legs while her palm being underneath her chin. With her eyes that were closed, she looked like she was in deep thoughts about life.
Her living room was decorated with a modern design that matches her theme, Black and White with a touch of Cherry Red. Mostly black being a formal, elegant, and prestigious color.
A huge flat screen TV that was connected to the internet, her latest laptop that was running on, playing her very own songs that she sang in the studio. And a comfy black leather sofa that was nice and cold as it lay near the air-cond set.

"<After that last movie, the marketing, signings, and fan meetings, everyone just went crazy!>" Se-Yi responded tiredly staggering across the hallway like a drunkard person.
"<That's the life of an actress. You have to endure the fact that it's tiring, but it's all worth it.>" Her close friend solely advised her, watching the young celebrity slumped against the sofa in the living room.
In-Na quickly sat next to her, waiting to hear about her problems. Instead, Se-Yi took out her phone and showed the girl who was a few years older than her, a picture from her Social Networking Site. Or S.N.S, for short.

In it, there were countless spams and 'proposals' that made Se-Yi particularly disgusted. She couldn't stand the sight of it.
"<Really?>" She looked at In-Na with a sarcastic look across her face as she rested her head, attempting to forget what she just saw moments ago.
"<Hey, those are just fans who adore you! You should be proud though! That's really an achievement, if you ask me!>" Se-Yi's friend chortled at the sight of it.

"Oh, Ms. Se-Yi, you are so beautiful that you made my heart melt towards the ground. Please be my one and only love." Se-Yi read out one of the messages, imitating an American accent that sounded absolutely horrible. Se-Yi's friend couldn't contain her laughter anymore, just bursting out the moment Se-Yi did that!
"<Hey, you really got the nerve to even joke something like this?>" In-Na wiped away tears of laughter after continuously laughing at Se-Yi.
"<It's frustrating, really.>" The latter replied, burying herself with the pillow that was beside her.
"<Please save me from this hellish life!>"

Hearing a knock on her front door, it was soon opened by Se-Yi's manager himself, Mr. Lee, as he walked in confidently. The rather gentle elderly man kept his shoes aside, approaching the girls with a wide smile across his face.

"Hey, hey! Superstar! Congrats on the award!" he greeted her in English, much to Se-Yi's annoyance.
"<What do you want? Aren't you supposed to be busy with my schedule for tomorrow and the week after that?>" Se-Yi got up tiredly, looking at him with a very dull expression.
"<You're supposed to get ready for your brief trip to Malaysia.>" Her agent reminded her, while pulling out his smartphone to browse through the calendar, trying to find out more details about her upcoming schedule.
"Ahjussi..." Se-Yi called out to him with a really tired face.
"<Do I really have to go to Malaysia for that brand endorsing event?>" Her question to him as she didn't seem too comfortable about it.
"<Of course! You already promised that you will do that about a while back.>" he responded in a surprised manner, trying to recall about her promise that occurred a few months back.
"<It will help you secure more fan base across South East Asia if you perform tours. Besides, you're starting off your international stardom if you do this.>"

Se-Yi sighed as she took a pillow, and screamed at it, using it as a muffler to quieten down her high pitched voice.
"<Don't worry Se-Yi, you'll love it there. The weather, the fans, and not to mention the food as well!>" Her agent stated, somehow prompting her to stop her screaming. She pulled away her pillow, looking at him surprisingly, yet doubtful about his words.
"<Really?!>" She looked at him with wide eyes. Her agent nodded, showing a sly smile that somehow made the girl pondered. She pulled her phone out once more, giving a quick check about what Malaysia was truly all about. Random photos of Malaysia was captivating!
And there was one that stood out among the rest of the pictures she saw. A bridge that was simply known as The Penang Bridge. Fairly long and seeing Penang island itself gave her some thoughts and comparison about Jeju Island.
That immediately changed her view about her upcoming trip.

"<See? Now you are convinced, aren't you?>" In-Na shook her head in disbelief as she watched how Se-Yi could easily change her mood just by looking at the pictures.
"Which reminds me," Se-Yi's agent looked at her.
"When you're in Malaysia, you have to speak English, and a bit of their language as well. Bahasa Malaysia, I think they called it."
"I can, speaking English! How do you do's? I, liking here already!" Se-Yi cheerfully spoke in an awful way that both In-Na and Mr. Lee smacked their foreheads, finding that unacceptable!
"<Wait, wait! I think I know!>" The Korean girl corrected herself.
"Annyeonghaseyo! Choneun Ha Se-Yi-yeyo! Ireumi mwoyeyo? Hi! I am Ha Se-Yi! What is your name?"

"<Hey, with that kind of language, you might actually become the laughing stock of the century.>" Se-Yi's friend solemnly said to her in a truthful manner, triggering Se-Yi to become defensive all of a sudden!
"<That's why I didn't want to go! You know I can't communicate well!>" Se-Yi made a pouty expression, feeling dejected with how her friend commented about her delivery of the language.
"<What is the use of me learning English, Mr. Lee? You already made me take night courses just to brush up my language on English. It's going to take a long time before I can become good!>" She lamented.
"<Don't be like that! You only need to say a few words. Once you're done, it's all over. Alright?>" Mr. Lee reassured Se-Yi, giving her hope.
"<Alright!>" Se-Yi responded brashly, ushering her manager to leave quickly.

Days later, Se-Yi was at a photoshoot when one of the models approached her in a confident manner. A star in his own making, the lad was a cocky fellow who sported a greenish long-bob hairstyle. The trend of a typical South Korean Idol that everyone adores. All with the exception of Se-Yi who couldn't be bothered with.

"<Beautiful star, with a handsome model. We could be the hot topic for months.>" The guy playfully flirts at a dull Se-Yi who took no notice of him. She continued scrolling through her phone, leaving the male model in a speechless manner.
"<Keep on talking. You're only making me sleepy.>" She simply put, pretending to yawn boringly. It was a cold way to reject a guy who approached her first.
"<Wow! True to the saying, you're really hard to please.>" The male model was as every bit as surprised to know that Se-Yi possesses that kind of an attitude.
"<Now you know? Yeah, I'm truly, really bored.>" Se-Yi's sarcastic remarks before taking her bags to leave the studio. She was done after all.
"<Your heart can't hide from me forever!>" The guy shouted at her, to which Se-Yi responded sticking her tongue out.
"<We'll see about that!>" Se-Yi was quick to respond that, walking out fast. In her mind, she had wasted too much time on him.

"<Hey, that's the third guy this month that you completely rejected. You're really making a name for yourself in the single's world.>" Se-Yi's male friend, Seoul-Oh said to her as they both sat down for a cup of coffee in a cafe. A few years older than her, and the kind of guy who has the experience in life that Se-Yi would often look up to for advice when she needed it.
"<You should really get a guy. At least it'll rub some heat off, as well as make you famous.>" He added, sipping from his coffee mug. The freshly brewed coffee that has a strong aroma.
"<That's the problem.>" Se-Yi turned to him after looking through her phone.
"<If I really wanted a guy, I'd rather have him completely different than I am. Someone... who doesn't know who I am, and he doesn't care about my fame. He could freely talk to me about anything without even breaking a sweat.>" She stated, thinking about the whole situation if it went her way.
"<You might be looking for a cat if that's the case. There's not a guy here who doesn't know who the famous Ha Se-Yi is.>" Seoul-Oh began to tease her, prompting the girl to respond back with a sarcastic look across her face.
"<I'd poked your eyes now if I could!>" She threatened him with that ferocious look in her eyes.

"<You see? That is why some of the guys you dated before couldn't last, because you're always threatening them!>" The man quickly pointed out Se-Yi's flaw. Or her aggression in other words.
"<Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm aggressive.>" Se-Yi responded dully, quite fed up as she quickly drank her coffee, wanting to forget about the topic as soon as possible. But somehow, something was bothering her.

"<I... had this dream quite recently, Sunbae. It felt so surreal..." The girl suddenly started, switching towards another topic.
"<What kind of dream?>" The man was fairly curious after hearing that from her.
"<I dreamt of this man. He is... quite different. Not from around here. He looked tough, yet in pain at the same time. His face; it was tanned, and scarred like he had been fighting for his entire life. I've never seen him in my life before.>" The girl sounded perplexed and confused at the same time.
"<Is he from Spain? Tanned like those Europeans?>" Seoul-Oh asked.
"<I don't know. Although, he doesn't look like one either. He does look quite handsome actually.>" Se-Yi simply admitted, blushing a bit even though she doesn't even have a clue towards the person in her dreams.
"<You are a strange, strange girl, you know that?>" He couldn't help but to say it out loud.

"<Before you leave, what are yours plans after the endorsing event?>" Seoul-Oh asked once more, quite aware of Se-Yi's schedule trip to Malaysia.
"<I don't know. All I know is, the food there is rather exotic. So I'll definitely try it out!>" Se-Yi answered excitedly, grinning happily like a young girl. She had done her research on parts of Malaysia she wanted to visit.
Seoul-Oh nodded at once, before departing from the lass who was on her way back.
"Have a good time there!" He bid Se-Yi farewell in English.
"<Yeah, yeah. You and your good English. Really good!> " Se-Yi made a face while showing a thumbs up.
"<I'd probably embarrass myself if I spoke that...>"
"<Nah, all you need is a little practice. That's what it takes when you have dedication.>" He added, giving a gesture nod to her as Se-Yi made a dull expression upon hearing the word 'English'.

Hours later in the middle of the night, at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, fans were swarming the whole area for the arrival of Ha Se-Yi.
The much anticipated await for the famous celebrity was going on for weeks in Malaysia. Media outlets were in talks about the famous celebrity who was making waves in South East Asia. Seeing that she was about to launch her international career, Malaysia was a good place to start first before moving on to neighbouring countries like Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, and even the Philippines.

As Se-Yi stepped foot into the busy airport, she could see the madness as paparazzi, reporters, and fans were trying to get a good glimpse of her, while security was forced to protect the Korean girl and Mr. Lee from the ongoing crowds surrounding them!
Se-Yi quickly put on her sunglasses to avoid the flashes of the cameras, while walking briskly beside her manager as they made their way out.

"<Look at all of these crazy people here.>" Se-Yi couldn't believe her eyes by the amount of people that were crowding the entire floor just to greet her.
"<They're your fans. All loyal to the one and only, Ha Se-Yi.>" Her manager replied happily with a wide smile around his face.
"<Let's just get this over with, Ahjussi. It's really exhausting after that flight.>" Se-Yi stated hastily as she yawned tiredly, attracting unwanted attention as cameras snapped away with photos of her yawning like a cat!
"<Cover your mouth! You're making your arrival here like it is a terrible one!>" Mr. Lee scolded her.
It was too little, too late. News spread out like wildfire!
Those who managed to snap pictures of Se-Yi, posted it on social media. It became a viral hit as everyone shared the photo endlessly to one another.

"Ha Se-Yi's arrival: Exhausted or already fed up with Malaysia?" That was the title of the article with pictures of her yawning.
"<Hey! You see! You're already up in the news!>" Mr. Lee quickly gave his phone to a visibly sleepy Se-Yi. It actually took her by surprise, causing her to look at him unbelievably.
"<Wow, that was fast!>" The lass was astounded at the sight of that.
"<I didn't know the fans here were fast with social networking sites!>"
"<Then you better watch your manners around here!>" Her agent advised her as they quickly boarded the coach, while fans made crazy attempts to surround it.

"<Remind me again, why are we here?>" The tired Se-Yi asked her agent as she slumped against the nice comfortable chair inside the coach.
"<We are here to promote your brand endorsement in Malaysia, Se-Yi. There are a few more in different countries, but this is just the beginning>" He responded calmly, taking a seat behind Se-Yi. He too, felt the exhaustion kicking in.
"<I hope it's quick... I just want to get it done and go enjoy the sights and food.>" Se-Yi grew impatient as she rested her head against the headrest.
"<Sorry. But after your endorsement here, you'll be needed to fly down to Singapore for the next one.>" Her agent immediately said to her, prompting an angry response from Se-Yi.
"<What do you mean I can't?! I came all the way here to get away from my busy life!>" The girl ranted on to her manager.
"<It wasn't my decision to make. It was the President of the company.>" Mr. Lee gave his reasons, hoping that it would make some sense to upsetting girl who only wanted to rest for a few days. That wasn't the case however.

Se-Yi bit her lip in frustration, not wanting to talk anymore. She proceeded to shut her eyes, falling asleep shortly after that as her energy was drained from the long flight.

The Mandarin Oriental Hotel. One of the few prominent hotels in Malaysia, and it was right next to Suria KLCC, or the iconic Petronas Twin Towers.
Se-Yi and Mr. Lee, quickly and quietly checked-in the hotel, dead beat tired since arriving from the airport.
With the Korean girl entering her own presidential suite, she quickly changed to her nightgown and applied moisturizer on her skin.

Within minutes before Se-Yi was suppose to fall asleep, the girl stood near the window, looking out at the view towards the city.
Lights flickering across the night sky, the view of the Petronas Twin Towers was magnificent. Se-Yi felt her day was somewhat wasted knowing that she was missing out on the good stuff that was happening at night.
The young girl took out her phone and snapped a good clear view of the city. With pure admiration, she immediately posted it on Instagram, hashtagging: "#Nightlife, #I'minKualaLumpur, #Single'slife, #Aviewofthecity."
And it didn't take long before her fans reacted towards that. While some of them were good comments, the rest were irritating.
"Date me, Princess! I'm in Kuala Lumpur." Se-Yi read out one of the comments with a disgusted look. Angered by that, she threw her phone across the bed while she paced around the room.

The Korean girl immediately sat down, thinking through about how tiring her life really was as a celebrity. People often viewed her as an opportunist, stating how lucky she was to have the luxury life compared to the rest.
She rubbed against her forehead, trying to nurse the headache that was knocking inside her head, right before she saw a book on the table. The Secret Seven.

"<The Secret Seven...?>" A confused Se-Yi grabbed the book to inspect it.
"<I wonder who left it here.>" She asked herself, flipping through the pages one at a time.
To her eyes, it actually triggered her fascination towards the book as it sounded interesting. And since it was in English, it would initially help her understand the universal language slightly better.
She continued reading the book with a satisfied smile across her face. She even attempted to pronounce some of the words she had never encountered before. As a form of autodidact that might come in handy to her should she ever need to converse in English.

By the time morning came, Se-Yi couldn't wake herself up on time due to reading the book throughout the whole night. She was in deep sleep while her phone alarm was blaring loudly. Even with the snooze function, she was still undisturbed by the alarm!
Mr. Lee, who stayed in the other suite, repeatedly called out Se-Yi's name at the front door, while trying to call her smartphone numerous times before finally getting her to wake up.
The lass rubbed her eyes tiredly before looking at the time on the clock that was displayed on the wall.
An overly exhausted Se-Yi became wide eyed surprise!
"<Oh no!>" She soon realized that she had overslept as she quickly jumped out from the bed to get a quick shower!

During the breakfast buffet between Mr. Lee and Se-Yi, the Korean girl almost dozed off while eating her cereal. That was how tired she was from staying up almost the entire night.

"<Hey! Wake up>!" Her manager snapped his fingers at her, somehow alerting her at once.
"<Oh? Sorry... I couldn't sleep well last night.>" Se-Yi apologized regretfully as she hurriedly ate her cereal and Croissant.
"<Aigoo... What did you do until you couldn't wake up, huh?>" Her agent looked at her, wondering the sort of thing a girl in her mid-20's would do.
"<Insomnia.>" Se-Yi's poor answer for a reply, ignoring him while she sipped her hot coffee.
"<You better hurry up then. The event is about to begin soon.>" Her agent instructed her while looking at his watch. A worrying look that was overcoming him due to Se-Yi's lack of responsibility.
"<Alright!>" Se-Yi responded hastily as she ate even faster, getting irritated with her manager.
She made a pouty expression, taking another bite from her Croissant while staring angrily at her manager.

The following hour, the event that was about to begin. Se-Yi, all dressed up gorgeously, was at the backstage when the emcee was in the midst of calling her out.
"You've seen her in action! You've seen her in films! Be prepared to meet her in real life! Ha Se-Yi!" The emcee enthusiastically called her out, signaling Se-Yi to come out on stage.
As she did so, the crowds went wild! Cheering and screaming their lungs out! Cameras and smartphone cameras snapping away, fans screaming emphatically, it was noisy as heck that no one could even hear their own voices!

Se-Yi stood motionlessly by the side as she held one of the phone products, demonstrating and displaying it in front of the whole audience that kept on screaming and chanting her name. Their eyes glued to the superstar celebrity who had an alluring smile that catches their heart.
"There we go! Show 'em the new phone, Ha Se-Yi!" The emcee said it in such a way, Se-Yi began bursting out laughing in delight.

Shortly after that, she was handed the microphone to give out a short speech.
"Annyeonghaseyo! Nice meeting you! It is good to be here!" Se-Yi addressed towards the whole crowd, trying her best to communicate in English.
"Malaysia is a nice place! I cannot wait to see the things here!" The Korean girl stated as fans screamed even louder.
"Especially the food!"
"Alrighty then, it's time for the awaited Q&A session. Everyone, take your seats." The emcee quickly addressed the crowds to quieten down. Ha Se-Yi sat on a stool, holding the mic while the emcee quickly retrieved the question cards from the stage below.

"First question; What does Ha Se-Yi usually do during her free time?" The emcee read one of the questions he randomly picked from the set of cards.
"I... sleep!" The girl answered in a shy manner before giggling sheepishly.
"Very tired, very tired. Very tired from shooting scenes to acting and sometimes practicing."
"Yes! Sleep is a must for everyone!" The emcee had to agree with Se-Yi, turning towards the crowd who were somehow amused, laughing at the girl's answer.
"Next question; What does Ha Se-Yi likes to eat?"
"Hmm..." The girl thought about the question for a few seconds.

"Bulgogi, Kimbap, Dak Galbi, sweet potatoes... and chocolates! But I cannot eat much. Strict diet, I have to follow and maintain." Se-Yi answered truthfully, not shying away like she did with the first question.
"What can the people recommend me to eat here in this country?" The girl carefully asked the emcee, sporting a huge grin across her face.
"That really depends. What can the fans suggest?" The emcee turned his direction towards the vast crowds. Many began shouting from every direction the sorts of food that the celebrity should try since she was in Malaysia.
"Char Kuey Teow!" The voice of a woman shouting as Se-Yi heard that.
"Rojak and Nasi Lemak!" Another shouted.
"Satay Kajang!" A female fan from the left corner.
"Asam Laksa, Roti Canai, Chendol and Ais Kacang!" A man from the back shouted at the top of his lungs with a variety of local food.

The many kinds of food suggested were the ones that she knew was good food. Judging from the answers and how the fans were that confident that they were good, she tried remembering the names of the said dishes and delicacies.
"Arasseo! I will find these food once I'm free!" Se-Yi responded excitedly, showing a thumbs up to the fans as they responded the same.

"Moving on now, what is Ha Se-Yi's ideal type of man?" The emcee's next question to Se-Yi, to which the latter took a moment to see her surroundings, the people all around her.
Faces of many colours, many races of diverse origins. The many cultural aspects. She had never seen such a country with many diverse races blending well with each other. Se-Yi now had to answer the question. And she already knew what she wanted to say. Speaking in plain English, she responded back,
"If I could find a man I like, I think I want him to be the opposite of me. I don't want him to be my fan, I just want him to be someone who looks at me like a normal person. Like, girl next door."