Chapter 13 - Moms Who Work

Start from the beginning

Being their mom is difficult, especially without Karlie here, but I love them so much and I love our mornings. I just hope that Ro doesn't get too bored today, then she'll be really hyper tonight and it'll be an even longer night than I'm used to.

---

"Alright, honey, have you got Avie?" I'm trying to stop Ro seeing how stressed I am but this morning has been chaotic and I'm not prepared for this meeting in the slightest. Rosie nods as I unclip her and help her down, and the little girl holds on tight to the stroller as we make our way inside. August is contently cuddled up in his stroller and I just hope he stays that way because this is already going to be an interesting experience.

As soon as I walk in I'm greeted by so many people who are surprised by the new additions in my life. I speak to everyone but try to make my way to the elevator as quick as possible for Rosie's sake. She's definitely not used to this level of attention.

"Are you doing alright, baby girl?" Once we're in the elevator and making our way upstairs, I bend down to check in quickly with the little girl. "There's a lot of people," I nod in response to Rosie's observation, "we'll be in a smaller room with a lot less people very soon."

After her last appointment, Rosie definitely became a lot more anxious and cautious of people around her. She has another one in a couple of days but I hope this is something we can work through in the long run. I know how hard it is living with anxiety and I don't want my little girl to grow up with that burden.

I push myself back up just before the elevator doors open and a second or two later we're met by Tree standing on the other side. "Hi," I laugh as I hug the woman, I haven't seen her in a while, especially since Ro and Auggie came into my life. "Rosie, this is Tree, she's my friend and she's going to be in the meeting too," Tree smiles sweetly at the little girl sticking very close to my side, "your name is funny." We both laugh at her comment and the redhead simply nods, "but you definitely won't forget it, huh?"

We make a little more small talk, Tree filling me in on what they're anticipating to happen in this meeting and what kind of result we're hoping for. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but if they're right then hopefully I'll be able to put this whole drama to bed.

"Come on then," Tree leads the way into the board room as I speak to Rosie, and I don't even even bother acknowledging the other parties until I have Ro set on the floor with her colouring books and Avie. "Just come get me if you need anything, monkey, I love you," I press a kiss to the little girl's cheek and Rosie smiles back, "love you."

As I turn my back on Rosie, I check on August and make sure he's content before sitting down. Sitting in front of me is Scooter Braun, a man who tried to ruin my career and then bought my discography without even as much as a heads up from my former label executive and friend.

"The nanny couldn't stretch an extra day?" His snide remark as he looks to my kids makes my blood boil but I keep my expression stoic. "My parenting isn't minimal enough to require a nanny but I'll keep your kids in my prayers, God knows they need it." Tree nudges me subtly under the table and I can already feel the disapproval from my lawyers. "Let's get down to business, shall we?" One of them quickly sways the conversation but I keep my stoic demeanor.

The conversation is mainly arguing back and forth between the lawyers for a while and I simply sit in my seat looking unamused, checking on Rosie and August every so often. Luckily Rosie is perfectly content with her colouring books for now.

August starts to get a little fussy though so before he completely kicks off I grab one of the bottles from his diaper bag and scoop him up. "Would you like to go somewhere else to take care of that?" I raise an eyebrow in response to his snarky comment and i can already feel my team silently begging me not to retort. "I'm sorry, is my ability to multi-task intimidating you?"